Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Dual-Monitor, G45 chipset, Windows 7

idata
Employee

I'm trying to get dual-monitors to work with an ASUS P5Q-EM motherboard running Windows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit.

I have the latest motherboard BIOS installed, version 2203. I've tried both the latest video drivers from ASUS, version 8.15.10.1808 and the currently have the latest drivers from Intel, build 15162 installed.

Both monitors are from Acer, model AL2016W with a native resolution of 1680x1050. When I boot the machine, both monitors displays the BIOS screens. Both monitors will also display the Windows Starting screen. The 2nd monitor display does out when the log in screen appears.

I've tried the Windows-P keystoke and selecting the Extend display.

I've tried going into the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel. Under the Multiple Displays tab, the only choice for Operating Mode is "Single Display".

I also tried selecting "Add a Device" from the Control Panel. That didn't give me any options except to cancel. And I also tried "Scan for hardware changes" in Device Manager.

Anyone have any ideas?

Richard

6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi.

I was told by a person who has a Dell 620 that this was the way he fixed the problem:

<<There are a couple way to do it- you can get what is called a companion card, or you can get a twin card--I have both. if you put in the twin card, it will override the on-board video, but you usually need a special cable-- most of the twin cards that come from <span class="yshortcuts" id="lw_1263774826_2">Dell have only one port on them, and it's not a standard video port. With a twin card, you don't need a special cable.>>

One is a PCI card like an old graphics card using a PCI slot, the other is a PCIe or PCI x 16 graphics board that will disable the integrated graphics on the motherboard. Intel information (confused me) stated a 945G chip set will allow dual monitors using a two for one RGA cable, but other chip sets would require a 2AA board...... (at lease that's my interpretation of their prose). I'm guessing a graphics card with two or more connectors for the monitors. This could be twin DVI, a DVI and RGA, twin RGA, HDMI, or S-video......all depending on the board you buy. I have a GX620 (3.2 GHz) with 2 GB memory and the integrated 950 graphics. If you go to the start menu--run--type dxdiag --wait a minute---you should get the chip set on your motherboard---just to confirm it agrees with the build sheet. I for one have no desire to buy another graphics card, especially if I can run two monitors independed or codependent in some cases....games are for others, I want this for multiple spreadsheets, or one large spreadsheet. It would be nice to run real time quotes on one monitor while you searched business files on another. I have no idea that the 945G option with the dual cable will work or allow what I want.

idata
Employee

Thanks for replying.

I stumbled upon the solution. I uninstalled the Intel driver that I installed in trying to resolve the issue, and reinstalled the original driver that I previously had installed from Asus. Dual monitors have been working just fine ever since. I have no idea when the driver didn't work initially. Apparently something didn't get installed just right, or maybe some other driver that was installed later trampled some setting or something...

RichardR

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Your motherboard has a single or dual output from the graphics card, or are you using the two to one adapter cable for your two monitors?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The motherboard has dual-monitor capabilities built-in. A VGA port, and a DVI-D Dual Link connector. I'm using a separate cable for each monitor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, I know this is an old post, but I'm in the same boat. But I can't find an older driver that will work. I recently got the computer and it's never worked. So Richard, if you are still around, please post the driver version I can look for to use. Thanks!