4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2016 1:31 PM by Adrian-Soto

Using Intel Edison to Write Keyboard Commands While Connected

adam2392

I am trying to use the intel edison board to input keyboard commands to my laptop based on some external inputs. I was wondering how I would go about doing that and if there are any documentation on that.

The board will be connected by USB to my laptop.

• 1. Re: Using Intel Edison to Write Keyboard Commands While Connected
          CMata_Intel

Hi adam2392,

Do you want to connect the keyboard to the Edison and send commands to the PC (connected via USB) through the board?

If this is what you want to do, you need to set the ttyyMFD2 as an UART in order to send data through that port to the PC because you will need the keyboard connected to the OTG port. You will not be able to use the port ttyGS0 because you are only will be able to use the OTG or the ttyGS0 port. (This is in case you are going to use the Arduino Expansion Board)

If you are going to use the breakout board, you will need to do the same thing with the ttyMFD2 and connect the keyboard to the ttyGS0 using an adapter for this.

Regards,

Charlie

• 2. Re: Using Intel Edison to Write Keyboard Commands While Connected
            adam2392

Hi Charlie,

This is on my laptop, so I want to connect my Intel Edison w/ Arduino Expansion board to my laptop via USB and then write commands to my laptop as if they were coming from my keyboard.

For example: If I want to write "hello world", then I would connect my Edison to my laptop and then send using some sort of sensors connected to the Edison, write logic where I can have my laptop type out "hello world".

I'm sorry if it sounds a little confusing, but does that make sense? Would you happen to be able to explain in a little more detail the process to go about doing that? My background is probably beginner-intermediate.

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Using Intel Edison to Write Keyboard Commands While Connected
              CMata_Intel

Hi Adam,

It will depend on what do you want to attach to the board (sensors, devices …) and what are you going to use in the laptop as IDE to show the keyboard commands.

If you want to use sensors or buttons you will need to create a script able to identify which character is going to be sent to the PC.

Then, if you want to send the data through the USB port, you will need to use a Serial-USB feature in order to use the USB port as an UART. You can also send data through ttyGS0

I hope this gives you an idea on how to start.

Kind regards,

Charlie

• 4. Re: Using Intel Edison to Write Keyboard Commands While Connected
                Adrian-Soto

Has anyone found a solution to Adams question?   I think what he means is to use the Edison the same way you would use an Arduino Leonardo, where you could just write a keypress command that would trigger that key as if where typed by a keyboard.   For example IF (CONDITION) the KEYPRESS 'A'.

It would be great if the Edison could do something like this.