4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 3:15 PM by erikjjohnson

Does Rocket Virtual Gateway work behind proxy?

jharp

The gateway says that it is "connecting", but hasn't...yet (several minutes).  My computer is behind a corporate proxy.  Is there any way to provide the proxy params to the gateway?

Starting the Virtual Gateway for Rocket.

Connecting to Helix App Cloud server...

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Does Rocket Virtual Gateway work behind proxy?
          rob.woolley

Hi jharp,

There is no proxy support at the moment, however we are about to roll out proxy support.  I'll reply back when it's been released.

Regards,

Rob

• 2. Re: Does Rocket Virtual Gateway work behind proxy?
            rob.woolley

Hi jharp,

We have updated the Virtual Gateway software on Helix App Cloud.  It now has support for SOCKS proxies.

I have tested it against a SOCKS proxy and can confirm that it is working.

If you have any problems getting it to work, please let me know.

Regards,

Rob

• 3. Re: Does Rocket Virtual Gateway work behind proxy?
              jharp

Thanks for the update Rob.  This feature should help out a lot of people.  Unfortunately, in my case, our proxy isn't a SOCKS proxy - we use an HTTP proxy to exit our large enterprise network. :-)

Edit: I was using the port number for the HTTP proxy.  Once changed to the proper (SOCKS) port number, the proxy worked great.  Thanks!

Regards,

Jason

• 4. Re: Does Rocket Virtual Gateway work behind proxy?
                erikjjohnson

I have a related, but not identical, question.  What do I need to do to get a Pulsar Linux device, that is behind a proxy, to display as online in Helix App Cloud?

Here is what I have done:

1. Downloaded the Pulsar Linux image for Minnow

2. Booted the Pulsar Linux image in Virtual Box

3. As root in the VM, ran "registerTarget -n SomeName"  This hung, so I figured it was the proxy

4. Set the HTTP_PROXY and HTTPS_PROXY environment variables appropriately for my network

5. Re-ran registerTarget -n SomeName and this was successful

6. Went into Helix App Cloud and added the registration/device key

At this point Helix App Cloud shows the registered device, but the device is offline.  I am guess that there is some daemon/process on the VM that needs to be provided with my proxy environment, but my searching/guessing has not provided any solutions yet.