9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 1:42 PM by Amy_Intel

Intel HD Graphics 5500 and Datacolor Spyder5

Seascape

My computer is Dell XPS 13 which uses Intel HD Graphics 5500.  I wish to calibrate my screen for image processing.  I am using Datacolor Spyder5Pro colorimeter to do the calibration. I really want the gamma to be 2.2 but when I do the calibration with the target gamma set to 2.2 the actual gamma I see on the screen is 3.1 (as measured by the colorimiter).  If I set the target gamma to 1.8 and do another calibration the actual gamma I see turns out to be 2.5.  So it appears that the calibrated LUT is loading ok but something on my system is causing a shift in the gamma.  Datacolor support believe it must be something to do with Intel HD graphics, but I don't know how to disable it without unintended consequences.  Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Intel HD Graphics 5500 and Datacolor Spyder5
          Amy_Intel

Hello Seascape,

Please fill out the following form Default level information for reporting Graphics issues and post it here, make sure to follow closely all the instructions so we can investigate this matter.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: Intel HD Graphics 5500 and Datacolor Spyder5
            Seascape

Thank you Amy_Intel.  Here is the form.  Please note that I have been in contact with Datacolor support.  They asked me to disable anything that could interfere with the display, including Adobe Gamma (which has been disabled) and igfx.   They got me to download Autoruns with which to disable startup programs.  I did try disabling igfx in Autoruns but when I did that I could not load any profile generated by the Spyder5 and the display reverted to a default profile which I could not change.  Currently igfx is enabled and Datacolor ran out of ideas.  They strongly suspect that it is Intel HD Graphics that is interfering with the Datacolor profile.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Attempting to calibrate display using Datacolor Spyder5 colorimeter. After calibration the actual gamma I see on the display is not correct.  If I set a target gamma of 2.2 (which is what I want to end up with) the actual gamma will be 2.8 to 3.1.  It is not always the same but it is always higher (darker) than the intended gamma.  If I set the target gamma to 1.8 (the lowest that the Datacolor software will allow) the real resulting gamma comes out around 2.4 or 2.5.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?
            If you can offer a % rate please do.

The exact gamma varies slightly, but it is always wrong

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell XPS 13

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
            ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
            LFP
            = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
            EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
            ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Datacolor Spyder5Pro colorimeter

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

Screenshot below

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

See attachments

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

I don't know.  I could not find an 'information page'

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Datacolor Spyder5Pro version 5.0

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Single display

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

1920x1080  59hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

Usually AC, but it makes no difference

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
            A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. Install Datacolor Spyder5Pro
            2. Conduct new profile using default settings
            3. Check the calibration using the Spyder5
            4. (See video)

Intel Hardware IDs.JPG

• 3. Re: Intel HD Graphics 5500 and Datacolor Spyder5
              Amy_Intel

Thank you for the information.

I will check the engineering department, as soon as I have some information this thread will be updated.

Regards.

• 4. Re: Intel HD Graphics 5500 and Datacolor Spyder5
                Seascape

Thanks.  I have some further information.  Here is the latest exchange with Datacolor support (all messages dated today):

Dear Timothy,

Spyder creates a global wide standardized ICC profile. This profile will be handled in two parts. This first and smaller part is the white point correction which is used by all your installed applications if they can. The second and bigger part will be flashed to the LUT (look up table) of your video card. This part corrects the gamma of the primary colors (RGB).

Now video card drivers come usually with some tools that allow the user to adjust brightness, contrast and even color gradients. Those adjustments are done via LUT of the video card. So even if you never applied adjustments to these tools, they will overwrite the Spyder correction profile with a flat line. That's why they need to be deactivated.

Best regards,

Oliver Mews

Senior Manager Global ICS Support

Datacolor AG

Loorenstrasse 9

8305 Dietlikon / Zurich

Switzerland

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Oliver,

Thank you for the explanation which is a big help.  This is the thing that I don't understand.  If I do a full calibration with a target gamma of 2.2 and then do a CheckCal I find the gamma is 3.1 (or similar - it is not always the same value, but it is always around 3.0).  If I then do another full calibration with the target of 1.8 and do another CheckCal I find the gamma is around 2.5.  If the LUT of the video card is being completely overwritten by something why the difference between 3.2 and 2.5?  Surely if it being overwritten wouldn't it be the same for both?

Regards,

Tim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Timothy,

yes...and this is the tool that would allow you to adjust brightness etc. Those adjustments would be done via LUT (LookUp Table) of your video card. If you don't adjust anything, this tool will flash a flatline to your LUT but there is NOT a flatline. There are the correction curves from Spyder and this tool will overwrite them.

So this is solved from our side.

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Oliver Mews

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Oliver,

Thanks again for your explanation.  I am trying very hard but I'm afraid I still don't get it.  I am so sorry to bother you but I really need to understand this and what you are saying is not completely making sense to me.

Let's start with a new full calibration (target gamma 2.2, white point 6500K).  After the calibration, if I do a CheckCal I am reading something like gamma 3.0 and the white point is correct.  You are saying that some other tool (probably Intel HD Graphics) has overwritten the video card LUT with its own 'flat line' curves.  Correct?

Now I do another full calibration (target gamma 1.8, white point 6500K) and then do a CheckCal.  If the video LUT is being completely overwritten by Intel HD Graphics (or whatever) in the same way as before, would you not expect CheckCal to read the gamma as about 3.0 again?  I have made no changes to anything except the target gamma in the Spyder software, so surely that would have no effect on the Intel settings and it should overwrite the LUT with exactly the same values as the first time.  Please can you confirm that this is what you are saying should take place?  Otherwise please correct me and tell me what I have misunderstood.

Kind regards,

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far I have not received a reply to my last, and I am not sure that I will get one as Oliver said in his last message that "this is solved from our side".  Presumably my understanding is at fault but I still don't understand how HD Graphics (or some other tool) can overwrite the video LUT while I still get different gamma readings depending on the target gamma in the calibration.  It seems to me in my ignorance that the Datacolor calibration is successfully flashing the video LUT but it is either writing the wrong values or something is modifying the LUT (but not completely overwriting it).  The Datacolor software allows me to choose from four target gamma settings.  I just ran four calibrations back to back and checked each of them with a CheckCal to see what the actual gamma was.  The HD Graphics settings were at factory default for all tests.  This is what I found:

Target gamma     Actual gamma

1.8                           2.5

2.0                           2.7

2.2                           3.1

2.4                           3.4

This does not look like random variation to me.  Clearly the actual gamma is changing in proportion to the target gamma, but there is an offset to the intended gamma.

And another thing.  I tried varying the HD Graphics settings while running the calibration.  I set the gamma in HD Graphics control panel to 0.7 and then ran the calibration with a target of 2.2.  If I now do a CheckCal (with HD Graphics gamma still set to 0.7) I get a real gamma 3.0 (very close to the 3.1 I got before).  But if I now set HD Graphics gamma back to the default 1.0 and run CheckCal the gamma is 2.2 which is what I wanted all along. 

So it seems to me that, contrary to what Datacolor support is saying, there seem to be two LUTs working independently.  Intel HD Graphics appears not to overwrite the Datacolor LUT, but seems to work in parallel with a separate LUT, and both LUTs are having a combined effect.  Can somebody please explain this to me so I understand what is going on?

• 5. Re: Intel HD Graphics 5500 and Datacolor Spyder5
                  Amy_Intel

Thank you for sharing this information, I will forward this to the engineering department.

Regards.

• 6. Re: Intel HD Graphics 5500 and Datacolor Spyder5
                    Amy_Intel

Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

Have you tried using the color management utility of your operating system? Note the picture below:

Capture.PNG

For further reference Change color management settings.

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Amy.

• 7. Re: Intel HD Graphics 5500 and Datacolor Spyder5
                      Seascape

Thank you Amy.  Use Windows display calibration was checked by default.  I unchecked it and restarted my computer.  I ran a CheckCal with the Spyder and it was exactly the same as before.  I ran a Full Cal with default settings and the gamma came in at 3.1 instead of 2.2.  I can therefore see no difference in the behaviour whether the Use Windows display calibration is checked or not checked.

• 8. Re: Intel HD Graphics 5500 and Datacolor Spyder5
                        Seascape

This is the latest advice from Datacolor:

in your video you opened the "Into HD Graphics Control Panel". This tool need to be deactivated, because it uses the LUT of the video cards.

Please contact Intel to ensure that all color adjustments are set to off and that also no tool overwrites the LUT with a flatline.

Can you please comment?

• 9. Re: Intel HD Graphics 5500 and Datacolor Spyder5
                          Amy_Intel

There is a new driver version available Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40], please give it a try and if the issue persists we will continue from here.