4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2015 6:44 AM by grizzly

vPro headless VNC

grizzly

This doesn't work.  I have a Q170 chipset motherboard and i7-6700 CPU.  When I try to VNC remote control this AMT system after booting without a monitor attached, VNC will show a black screen and a few seconds later an error:

"Error 0x8086200: Unsupported or inactive display adapter"

Many others have reported this problem on various forums.  There are some mentions of editing OS bootloader options, however this doesn't solve.  vPro fails to show even the POST or BIOS pre-OS, so I fail to see how this will help.  My BIOS options are already set to IGFX and "Use Internal Graphics" and VNC remote control works fine when a monitor is attached at boot.  There is a company now selling a HDMI dongle:

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fit-headless/

http://www.vfrank.org/2015/04/28/running-the-intel-nuc-headless-with-vmware-esxi/

which fools the motherboard into thinking there is a monitor attached.  But it should not be necessary to buy third-party workaround hardware to get this to work.  I can understand that the graphics hardware is being shut-down when no display is attached to save power.  However many people like me will want to use vPro systems with only power and network cables attached.

Intel's vPro chipsets should have a BIOS option: "vPro Headless": Enabled or Disabled (default).  At the default setting, the chipset power-saves when no display is detected.  When enabled, the graphics hardware is enabled regardless so headless VNC remote control is possible.

Many thanks.

Is actually a Q170 not Q77 motherboard  Message was edited by: Brendan Holmes

• 1. Re: vPro headless VNC
          mikec_intel

Hi grizzly,

Intel® vPro™ Technology is supported by https://bizsupport.intel.com, you can submit and manage your own support tickets for vPRO inquires. Complete a brief enrollment form then, tickets will be handled directly by Intel engineers.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: vPro headless VNC
            grizzly

Thanks Mike.  Submitted a ticket.

• 3. Re: vPro headless VNC
              mikec_intel

Hi grizzly,

You are welcome, I am pretty sure vPRO support will solve the issue soon.

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: vPro headless VNC
                grizzly

To update, Intel Business Support are refusing to fix this because they say it is up to individual motherboard vendors to provide a BIOS fix (ie a "Headless: Enabled or Disabled" option).  My motherboard vendor, Supermicro, are also refusing to do this.  They suggest using one of their Xeon IPMI motherboards instead, which are much more expensive.  It is their prerogative to protect a more commercially lucrative product line, but the field is now open for another Q170 motherboard manufacturer to provide a headless option that will be a big selling feature for a platform that supports 64GB of RAM and hence is a decent-sized server system.  Servers typically run headless.  Until then, we're stuck with these stupid HDMI plugs.