2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 12:46 AM by ravija

Is there a way to configure WiFi for my Edison through a UI?

ravija

Hello everyone,

I have an Intel Edison with a mini breakout board. I have been using it as a server sending values from my locally running client.

I was thinking of moving the Edison to a friend's location and running the client on my computer.

Since I wouldn't want her to open the putty to try configuring the Edison for her network, I would need the Edison to ask for the one time Wifi configuration through a user interface, say giving a keypad and LCD for this purpose.

So is it possible to configure the WiFi through a C code or a service or something?

Thanks in advance,

Ravija

• 1. Re: Is there a way to configure WiFi for my Edison through a UI?
          DiegoV_Intel

Hello ravija,

The Edison has the command configure_edison --wifi which configures the Wi-Fi connection. If you don’t want to enter in the Edison's terminal to run the command, I would suggest you to modify the code of the Python script configure_edison.py to request the inputs from the keypad and to display the outputs in the LCD. The only detail is that you have to use Python and not C, because the configure_edison.py is a Python script.

The configure_edison.py script is accessible in the following file: /usr/bin/configure_edison. You can make a copy of it (or just a copy of the part that you need), and modify it by adding the code to request data from the keypad and to display data in the LCD.

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to configure WiFi for my Edison through a UI?
            ravija

Hi Diego,

That was prompt. Will try to modify the file and run.

Thanks

Ravija