4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2009 12:19 PM by fallingrock

Win7 & 4gb Turbo Memory?

fallingrock

I just purchased a 4gb turbo memory chip for my Dell Latitude D630.

The chip installed fine and, after installing the drivers, everything looks OK.

Problem is ... when I go into the turbo memory console, the "Enable Windows Readyboost" option is unchecked and protected (so I can't change it).

According to this link, this might be normal ... and that Windows needs to create a readyboost file ... but I'm wondering how 'normal' this is ... and how long it should take to create the readyboost file?

Any advice?

Thanks!

david

• 1. Re: Win7 & 4gb Turbo Memory?
          Havoc-Dadelous

I have the same problem. I have Lenovo X200, Win7 x64 and a 4Gb ITM. I want to know if this is by design why? Surely 1Gb for readyboost and 3Gb for Readydrive would be perfect, or better still the user could define the values.

• 2. Re: Win7 & 4gb Turbo Memory?
            fallingrock

Finally got an answer from Intel support...

Be aware that due to the fact that this 4G Intel® Turbo Memory is capable of user pinning, Windows ReadyBoost* cannot be enabled.

According to this document, the 4gb turbo memory card can only due user pinning and not readyboost.

I'm not particularly happy with this ... as the user pinning is pretty labor intensive, but maybe I'll just cope with it.  Either that or sell the card on eBay.

Oh well.

• 3. Re: Win7 & 4gb Turbo Memory?
              Havoc-Dadelous

Thanks for letting me know, that was the conclusion I had come to. If I had know I would have gone for the 2Gb version, Readyboost was the feature I was after. I'll have to buy a fast SD card now.

I have found that the information on ITM is hard to find and difficult work out which model it's for. Intel you should work on this!

• 4. Re: Win7 & 4gb Turbo Memory?
                fallingrock

Havoc-Dadelous wrote:

Thanks for letting me know, that was the conclusion I had come to. If I had know I would have gone for the 2Gb version, Readyboost was the feature I was after. I'll have to buy a fast SD card now.

I have found that the information on ITM is hard to find and difficult work out which model it's for. Intel you should work on this!

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat.

At this point I'm thinking about selling the 4gb card and purchasing a 2gb card.  I'd rather have the readyboost functionality than the user pining.

david