5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2009 3:52 PM by Kemayou

Intel D946GZIS Compatible memory

Kemayou

Hello,

I have a D946GZIS motherboard and I want to do a RAM upgrade. I've spotted a 4GB Kit from OCZ and I want to make sure it's compatible before I buy it. I have looked at the spec sheet and the compatibility page (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d946gzis/sb/CS-026621.htm) for the board but I want to double check with an expert here just to make sure.

Here are the memory spec:

800MHz DDR2     
      CL 5-5-5-18
      (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)    
      Unbuffered
      1.8 Volts
      240 Pin DIMM

source: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_vista_performance_gold_4gb_dual_channel

Thank you for your time

• 1. Re: Intel D946GZIS Compatible memory
          Aryan2411

Hello,

Well the OCZ memory is 800 MHz, while the board requirement can be either 533 or 667 Mhz.

The board has two DIMM sockets and supports the following memory features:

• 1.8 V (only) DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
          • Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.
          • 4 GB maximum total system memory
          • Minimum total system memory: 128 MB
          • Non-ECC DIMMs
          • Serial Presence Detect
          • DDR2 667 or DDR2 533 MHz SDRAM DIMMs

Try to see if you can get one from the list, otherwise get another similar OCZ 667Mhz.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel D946GZIS Compatible memory
            Kemayou

Thank you for the quick answer.

As I thought, given the fact that I had already took a look at the list, 800MHZ RAM is not necessarely recommended for that board. However, I would still like to know if that set of OCZ I mentionned in my previous post could work on my board. The reason why I'm insisting on this is because I'm really getting a good deal for them and it would be ashame to let them go.

I browsed a little bit to get as much information as I could and found the Crucial Memory Configuration Tool and the results for my board indicate that 800MHZ is compatible. (please note that I'm only interested with 4GB kits). Same thing goes for the Corsair Memory Configurator although I'm less confident with those results since they also seem to indicate that 2.1V and 1066MHZ RAM kits are compatible.

The Crucial Mem Config Tool also has a FAQ on which I foung this:

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and will a faster speed be backward-compatible?

A: DDR2 memory with support for DDR2 PC2-6400,DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-8500 speeds.

If that holds true, it would mean that 800MHZ can work on the board, it'll just be slowed down to a compatible speed, perhaps 667MHZ?

Now I know that if I want to be on the safe side, I just need to get a kit that matches exactly what is on the intel recommended list but like I said at the begenning, I have a really good deal on the the OCZ kit of my first post, and I want to make sure it will absolutely not work with the board.

Thank you for the advice

• 3. Re: Intel D946GZIS Compatible memory
              Aryan2411

Hello,

Now i understand what is the reason you asked this question.

Anyway, unfortunately, i have never tried this on this board, hope someone else can try it and let you know.

My concern is that from the datasheet of the chipset, it states clearly that:

The (G)MCH System Memory Controller directly supports one or two channels of memory (each channel consisting of 64 data lines)
              • Supports DDR2 memory DIMM frequencies of 533 MHz and 667 MHz. The speed used in all channels is the speed of the slowest DIMM in the system

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/313083.pdf

Page 22/312

If the chipset itself does not support 800Mhz, how would it underclock the memory speed, unless there is a functionality in the bios.

It is true that i have seen this working on some old server boards. Let us hope someone else can give a definite answer on this.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Intel D946GZIS Compatible memory
                Kemayou

Thank you again for your quick answer and advice.

I'll take a chance and buy the OCZ 800MHZ (money talks lol). Hopefully they'll work, even if not exploited to their full speed potential. As long as I can have 4GB. I curently have 1.5GB (1x1GB and 1x512MB different) running Win7 so I defenitely need that upgrade. I will post again once I've tried them to let you know the results.

If anybody else knows or has relevant information, feel free!

Thanks for the advice Rajiv, talk to you soon.

Regards,

Kemayou

• 5. Re: Intel D946GZIS Compatible memory
                  Kemayou

Well just to let people know, I got the OCZ kit, installed it on my PC and I can say that it works flawlessly. No manual adjusting to do it recognized the sticks and booted right up. Checked the RAM speed in the bios, it says 667MHZ. My guess was right, it does undeclock it.

Thank you for your help.