5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 10:29 AM by Joliet_Tech

Create a New Array Volume

Joliet_Tech

The question is:  What will happen if I create a new RAID volume on a system that  already has a RAID volume on it.  They would both be  RAID10 array's.

I have a Dell Precision T3400 that has an Intel ICH9R RAID Controller in it.  The software version of the  controller is v7.6.1.1001.  Originally, the server had  (4) 150G HDD's configured as  300G RAID10 array.  Thinking that I could increase the capacity by increasing the capacity of each  HDD, I replaced all four drives with 1TB drives.  I found out later that this  controller does not  support Capacity Expansion.  I am  now trying to figure out how to expand  the volume by ANY means.

Within the Intel RAID  Controller software, I have  the capability of creating a new Volume.  It  appears to allow me to create a 1.5G RAID10 array.  I have made all of the selections and  just now need to hit the "Create  Volume" button.  Before I do this however, I wanted to check to see if anyone knew what  the outcome might be if I  do this.

The OS is Windows 2003 SBS.  I need to increase the capacity of the drives so that I can upgrade the OS.

I really appreciate any insight  that can be given on this.

Should I post this in another group?

• 1. Re: Create a New Array Volume
          JFFulcrum

The safe path is to backup all data from old volume via disk-imaging tool like Acronis, replace HDDs, build RAID array, restore volume and expand it to free space in Windows using diskpart or disk management app of Computer management.

• 2. Re: Create a New Array Volume
            Joliet_Tech

Thank you for your assistance.  The issue is that in Windows2003 SBS you CANNOT expand the volume; the feature is NOT there.  As far as I've been able to tell, there is NO WAY to expand this volume.  I already have replace the 150G HDD's with 1TB HDD's as your suggestion was my first thought.  In the next version of Intel RAID controllers, they added the expansion capability but it does not exist in the ICHR9.

Do you know that answer to my question?   "What will happen if I create a new RAID volume on a system that  already has a RAID volume on it."  

• 3. Re: Create a New Array Volume
              JFFulcrum

What will happen if I create a new RAID volume on a system that  already has a RAID volume on it

You will create a 'Matrix' RAID on HDDs free space, Intel RST is capable of joining parts of physical HDDs into independent RAID arrays, like, have a RAID0 and RAID1 both on just two disks, in limits of their physical space. This will not expand already existing volume.

• 4. Re: Create a New Array Volume
                Joliet_Tech

THANK YOU for your response.  I'm not quite sure what a "Matrix" RAID means.  So, how will this manifest itself to me.  Will I be able to boot using either one of the configurations or do they exist in parallel to each other?  What I really want to do is to change the existing RAID config from a RAID10 to a RAID1.  If  you know how to do so, I would be appreciative.

Also, one footnote to my initial post.  When I performed the steps to create a new RAID volume, I got the impression that it was going to create a new RAID10 volume using the entire 1TB HDD's as it showed me a config of 1.5TB.  If that is not really the case, then I would be happy to change the RAID10 to a RAID1.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Create a New Array Volume
                  Joliet_Tech

I'm not sure if this should be a different  question but I'll post it here and move it if so advised.

Can I change my RAID10 configuration to a RAID 1?  I currently have a (4) disk (150G) RAID10 array and I would like to change it to a RAID1.  I have an older ICHR9 RAID controller.

If I can  change it to a RAID1 array, my plan will be to

1. Back it up

2. restore it to a 1TB HDD

4. Reconfigure the server for NO RAID

5. Install the new 1TB HDD and expand the  volume to use the full disk

6. Install another 1TB HDD and create a 1TB RAID1 array

Because the ICHR9 does not support volume expansion, I have to find another way.

Regards,