8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 7:08 PM by Cesar Badilla

Haswell i5 NUC analog audio problem

HaraguroMegane

I'm using an i5 NUC as small internal home server, and I would like to use it to play internet radio as well. It's hooked to the analog input of the stereo amplifier using a standard 3.5mm jack cable.

This used to work fine on its predecessor, an Acer Revo 3610, but the analog NUC output, which is marked as a headphone output combined with a headset output, does not recognise any audio device attached. When I plug in the cable, the driver asks whether I attached a headset or a headphone pair, and I reply a headphone. Yet afterwards I get an empty window stating no audio device was found.

The Realtek High Definition Audio device shows up properly installed in device manager (using W7 Pro).

So what am I doing wrong?

Edit: tested the cable, it is working perfectly. Attaching a working Sony headphone pair to the front connector yields the same result: "no audio output device installed". Removing the driver and installing the latest from the Intel site (which specifically stated this was the driver for the front audio connector) does not change anything.

Anyone? Please help. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Haswell i5 NUC analog audio problem
          Cesar Badilla

Hello HaraguroMegane,

Please provide your specific Intel® NUC 5i5xxxx model in order to provide you with a better response.

Additionally, please take into consideration the normal 3.5 jack connectors may vary a little bit in specification.

For more information refer to  https://downloadmirror.intel.com/24566/eng/NUC5i5MYBE_TechProdSpec05.pdf on page 32.

audio jack  pinout nuv5i5.png

Regards,

Caesar B.

• 2. Re: Haswell i5 NUC analog audio problem
            HaraguroMegane

Hello Caesar, thanks for taking time to reply.

On the back it says Model D54250WYKH, manufactured 05/2014. Do you need anything further or is this sufficient?

The 3.5mm plug is a standard stereo plug like you find on a headphone. Area 4 does not exist (no microphone) and forms one area with area 3. When I attach the cable or the headphone, the hardware detects a plug-in and asks what I inserted. No matter what I reply, no audio device is found according to the Windows audio control panel and the Realtek panel.

• 3. Re: Haswell i5 NUC analog audio problem
              HaraguroMegane

Anyone with some information what may be wrong, how to fix this please?

• 4. Re: Haswell i5 NUC analog audio problem
                Cesar Badilla

HelloHaraguroMegane,

Please submit a picture of the current audio jack pinout you are currently using.

I suggest trying one like this 3.5 mm audio jack Plug, straight Number of pins: 4 Stereo Black BKL Electronic 1107017 1 pc(s) from Conrad.com

Also please try testing the audio with different headphones or Speakers to see if you get audio out of the NUC.

Additionally, you could try uninstalling current audio driver and installing this one Download Audio: Realtek ALC Audio Driver for Intel® NUC

Please take into consideration the fact, this download record provides the Realtek* audio driver version 6.0.1.7614 for the front panel audio jack on Intel® NUC.

Audio output to a TV is provided by the Intel® High Definition Audio via the HDMI v1.4a interface and/or the DisplayPort 1.1a interface through the PCH (depending on your model). HDMI audio drivers are included with the graphics driver available for your Intel NUC product.

Based on this, we need to select the output device by right-clicking on the audio icon on the bottom right corner of your Windows* 7 screen and then click on "Playback Devices" and then select your output device.

Note: By right-clicking on the "Playback Devices" blank are right after the speakers, you will be able to enable the "Show Disabled Devices" and  the "Show Disconnected Devices"

Regards, 

Caesar B.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

• 5. Re: Haswell i5 NUC analog audio problem
                  HaraguroMegane

My apologies for the late reply. Work's been demanding lately.

I found a headset at work using the plug you described. No go. The plug in is recognized, as is plug out. But the manager keeps saying no audio device has been installed. Windows audio panel says the same. I cannot select an output device because "no audio device installed". Disabled and disconnected devices were set to visisble.

Untitled.jpg

I already had the driver installed that you mentioned. I noticed the driver description specifically stated is was for the front audio jack, so I already tried it. Nevertheless, I de- and reinstalled, no joy.

I just finished updating to the latest BIOS (WYLPT10H.86A.0041.EB.WINPE64), but no difference.

This is what I see in device manager:

untitled2.jpg untitled3.jpg

Anything else I can try, or must I assume the NUC is defective?

• 6. Re: Haswell i5 NUC analog audio problem
                    Cesar Badilla

Hello HaraguroMegane,

Please try uninstalling current audio driver and then intall this one Download Audio: Realtek ALC Audio Driver for Intel® NUC

This download record provides the Realtek* audio driver version 6.0.1.7614 for the front panel audio jack on Intel® NUC.

Note: Audio output to a TV is provided by the Intel® High Definition Audio via the HDMI v1.4a interface and/or the DisplayPort 1.1a interface through the PCH (depending on your model). HDMI audio drivers are included with the graphics driver available for your Intel NUC product.

If issue persists after that I suggest  to Contact Support

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

• 7. Re: Haswell i5 NUC analog audio problem
                      HaraguroMegane

Unfortunately, a fourth deinstallation and reinstallation changed nothing. No audio device. I'll try contacting support. Thanks for your assistance!

I decided to try and look into the BIOS settings before contacting support. I hooked the NUC to my monitor using DP, and lo and behold, in Windows the audio device included in my monitor was recognised. And once I attached my headphones, a second audio device (speakers) was recognised.

Once I set it up headless again, the audio device remained available. So you have to install the audio driver with a digital source available, which will enable the analog device as well. Easy, once you know this particular quirck. I had installed the basic Win 7 and set it up for RDP and did the rest of the installation remotely. Including drivers.

• 8. Re: Haswell i5 NUC analog audio problem
                        Cesar Badilla

Hello HaraguroMegane,

I am glad to hear you were able to solve the issue.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.