5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 8:00 PM by retread

DQ45CB BIOS updates - how many can you jump safely?

retread

I am having an issue that may be resolved by a BIOS update.  Problem is, I just built this system a few months ago (June) and never sought to update the BIOS because my system ran stable out of the box.  Intel recommends not upgrading BIOS if there are no problems (if it ain't broke, don't fix it).

Now that I want to update the BIOS, there is a large number of updates since my current number (0063).  The latest is 0085.  In many systems I built in the past, I could only update 2 or 3 versions at a time, and trying to jump more than 4 or 5 would cause a crash.  Will it be safe to jump from 0063 to 0085 with the Intel mobo?

• 1. Re: DQ45CB BIOS updates - how many can you jump safely?
          Nico

read the bios release release_notes.pdf on the download page. if it doesn't say otherwise, you can jump as far as you want...

• 2. Re: DQ45CB BIOS updates - how many can you jump safely?
            retread

You are saying I must read the release notes on each update?  You realize that this is about 20 updates, don't you?

• 3. Re: DQ45CB BIOS updates - how many can you jump safely?
              Nico

the file lists all updates since release. you can fly over ~10 pages, right?

• 4. Re: DQ45CB BIOS updates - how many can you jump safely?
                retread

No, I can't "fly" over 10 pages.... I did study the release notes for the past hour.... it appears that there are a number of updates to the ME Bios that require the "Recovery" method of updates.  Also noticed that the most recent update is 0109, not 0085.  That is interesting... when I used the Intel Update tool yesterday, it reported that the latest was 0085 and that my version (0063) needed updating.  For that reason, I thank you... if it weren't for the challenge, I would not have seen this.

I am not a newbie, but neither am I an IT professional.  I am an insurance agent that so happens to be a long time computer hobbyist.  I have built a number of systems over the years, but never an Intel.  As a matter of fact, all previous boards I have chosen were AMD driven.  I like the support at Intel... I am just surprised at the frequent BIOS updates!  THREE in November alone!!!

• 5. Re: DQ45CB BIOS updates - how many can you jump safely?
                  retread

Updated my BIOS from ver. 63 to ver 111.... never saw a BIOS update so easy in all my years!  In the old days, we could never safely update more than about 2 or 3 updates at a time or the system would crash.  I used the Windows Express method and sat back and watched it do its thing in about 3 minutes!

The most obvious response was the immediate cease of the surging CPU fan.  This was fixed in a BIOS update available long before the date of my build, but guess my board sat around sometime before being sold.  It doesn't take long.... two or three come out every month it seems.