9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2016 12:36 PM by nteranO

Intel HD4000 with external display flashes only on external dock

Kelvins

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

I have just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  I have updated video driver to different versions, but currently running 10.18.10.4276 and noticed that when I run the

laptop plugged into the dock with an external display, the displays (laptop and external) flash, and sounds like a monitor is connected and disconnected.  This occurs randomly, but at least every 20 minutes, sometimes a couple of times in 5 minute.  If I plug the monitor into the laptop (external display port) I dont seem to have this issue.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?
      If you can offer a % rate please do.

Only fails when plugged into the dock

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo T530 laptop (HD 4000 graphics)

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
      ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Appears to have NVidia NVS 5400M

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
      LFP
      = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
      EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

Thinkvision 4420 display running through VGA connector on external display.

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

12G

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
      ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 64 bit

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Cannot seem to find this

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

Currently running version as per detailed description.  Nvidia version: 10.18.13.5362?

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Seems to occur in any thing (IE, Word)

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

extended.  Also tried on Single display (Laptop) and Single display (External)

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

default resolutions for the panels (not sure off top of head)

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

AC

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
      A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. Plug in external monitor through dock (not usb version)
      2. Wait

3. (Attached is the DispDiag output)
        • 1. Re: Intel HD4000 with external display flashes only on external dock
          Amy_Intel

Hello Kelvins,

I performed a lab under your circumstances including a docking station but the issue you mentioned did not occur. It seems like the docking station you have is giving you some kind of interference between your computer and the driver. Since you were able to test it without the docking station the issue is pointing out to the docking station, if this issue were with the Intel® HD Graphics Driver that same behavior that you're having would have been present without the docking station.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: Intel HD4000 with external display flashes only on external dock
            Kelvins

Thanks Amy for your efforts.  More update on this issue - Spoke to a colleague who also has the same set up as mine, and this did exactly the same  after his upgrade to 10.  We were away for a day or two, and he said that when he came back, Windows did some more updates and then it has so far been stable for him.  I also tried some updates and this has not worked for me.  I also had to give a presentation on an external projector just the other day (using laptop external display connector instead of dock)  and when plugged in the display was constantly changing resolutions? (or trying to find the resolution).  The only way I could stop it was to switch to laptop only, or 2nd screen only), this then gave me a stable screen.  I then switched to extended mode and then it was stables.  Maddening but lucky I ended with a stable display.  When I plugged in a monitor previously to the 2nd display port on the laptop it was stable.  It is like the driver is having problems with EDID or issues with new devices where it cannot settle on a display resolution if switching monitor while configured in extended mode.  When the projector was plugged in, it was 'switching resolutions' constantly, whereas with the external dock, it does it every 10-20 minutes or so I would think - ie enough to be maddening.  Also, this issue has only started to occur since upgrading to 10.  I will see if I can beg/borrow/steal colleages dock to test against.

• 3. Re: Intel HD4000 with external display flashes only on external dock
              Kelvins

Hello Amy. I have just tried with another dock and no change. I have also changed the power supply on the dock, and while the display changes, I don't loose sub mice or Ethernet networking with is also being supplied by the dock. Therefore I don't think it is the dock that is the problem. A couple of other people have made mention of this issue in the office afterr upgrading but they say a windows update seems to fix this problem though no one knows what update as it appears that the drivers that they were using were the ones that I had tried. Not sure where to go to from here.

• 4. Re: Intel HD4000 with external display flashes only on external dock
                Amy_Intel

Thank you for the updates.

At this point you might be facing an issue related with the V-BIOS of your computer that somehow is not recognizing properly the functions of our driver and the environment of Windows 10. Another thing I want to mention is that using a docking station would be like using an adapter which is matter that Intel does not recommend or support since it can cause interference between the graphics controller and your computer.

As a workaround you can try installing the following drivers;

Chipset

Laptops and netbooks :: ThinkPad T Series laptops :: ThinkPad T530 - Lenovo Support (US)

Graphics

Laptops and netbooks :: ThinkPad T Series laptops :: ThinkPad T530 - Lenovo Support (US)

BIOS

You can install them as listed.

Regards,

Amy.

• 5. Re: Intel HD4000 with external display flashes only on external dock
                  jsr0331

I'm having the same problem, but mine does it in the docking station and when just plugged into the VGA on the laptop itself. Everything is up to date, tried 3 different docking stations. I'm rolling it back to Win7 to see if its WIn10 have a feeling it Win10 not the hardware.

• 6. Re: Intel HD4000 with external display flashes only on external dock
                    Amy_Intel

Hello jsr0331,

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy.

• 7. Re: Intel HD4000 with external display flashes only on external dock
                      nteranO

Kelvins Amy_Intel jsr0331

So I've been battling with this same issue everybody has mentioned above for around 4 months. It started with a windows 7 re-install gone wrong, had to move 8.1 because I was in a bind. It was at this point the issue arose. I then moved to windows 10 hoping it would go away, it didn't.

I first thought it was the Nvidia driver/card in my docked T530 but I downgraded to every driver possible and ruled the Nvidia 5400m out as the culprit.

It seemed to do the trick was monkeying around in the BIOS (Running 2.65 , 2015-09-10)

In the menu select the following....

Under Display select GRAPHICS DEVICE to NVIDIA OPTIMU

OS Detect for NVIDIA

That should work.

I think it's a bug/conflict with Windows 8.1/10, The HD4000, and the NVidia 5400m which is set off by the BIOS. It's definitely a bug and driver related because I have zero issues under Linux (so maybe a windows issue?).

SO GLAD THIS IS OVER, the monitor flickering bug completely defeated the purpose of using multiply monitors.

TL;DR : Disable the Intel HD 4000 card while docked, it's the issue.

• 8. Re: Intel HD4000 with external display flashes only on external dock
                        jsr0331

Tried to disable Intel HD4000 driver... wont let me display a second monitor. re-enabled it and disabled Nvida driver and works fine for me... so far

• 9. Re: Intel HD4000 with external display flashes only on external dock
                          nteranO

Have you tried the other video ports on the dock? I have my vga and dvi-d hooked up to the dock and I'm able to have 2 external dual displays with the hd4000 disabled.