10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2009 5:43 PM by james.jack

D5400XS SATA PORTS NOT WORKING

mrgee

I have a D5400XS board and when trying to install a new internal drive I have discovered that there is one SATA port that  seems to have a problem. Whatever drive is connected to this port will not be detected. I have swapped around my drives so I am certain it is the SATA port and not a drive error..

Any help?

• 1. Re: D5400XS SATA PORTS NOT WORKING
          Aryan2411

Hello,

Are you saying that if the same hard drive is connected to another SATA Port, it works fine?

If so, may be you have a sata port damaged!

Try to set the sata as IDE in the bios and check again if it makes any difference.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 2. Re: D5400XS SATA PORTS NOT WORKING
            mrgee

YES.. Thats what I am saying.. The bios settings sre already set ti IDE..!

Me thinks the SATA port is KAPUT!! Not good for a board that is only 2 years old!!

• 3. Re: D5400XS SATA PORTS NOT WORKING
              Aryan2411

Hello,

I guess that it will be best for you to open a case with Intel Customer Support and get further assistance from them if the board is still under warranty.

http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm

Make sure to have the board serial number and aa number ready before contacting them.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 4. Re: D5400XS SATA PORTS NOT WORKING
                chiller1

just send it RMA

• 5. Re: D5400XS SATA PORTS NOT WORKING
                  james.jack

I see the same issue.  SATA ports 4 and 5 are inactive, but 0 through 3 are ok.  4 and 5 don't show up in the bios either.  I'm thinking there is somthing to configure here, perhaps the 2 eSATA need to be switched off somehow to get the last two internal SATA ports to function?

My board is less than a month old...  I can't believe we are the first to try to add more than 4 drives.

• 6. Re: D5400XS SATA PORTS NOT WORKING
                    james.jack

If you look at this product brief:

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/prodbrief/D5400XS-product_brief.pdf

page 3, item 7 states: Six SATA ports, including two eSATA (3.0 Gb/s)

the use of the word including is interesting and ominous to me...  It implies that there are 6 SATA potrs and two double as eSATA, but I can't see a jumper or Bios setting to alter this.

• 7. Re: D5400XS SATA PORTS NOT WORKING
                      mrgee

Hey nice to know I am not the only way experiencing this problem..

You have provided some very interesting observations.

I will try to investigate this further.

I guess we need to get some answer from the intel techs about this problem with the inactive sata ports..

Thanks and please keep in touch if you find some answers..

• 8. Re: D5400XS SATA PORTS NOT WORKING
                        mrgee

I had a live chat with an intel support person..

My problem is sti;ll  not solved though..

If I configure the sata ports to raid all 6 ports appear in the bios but windows crashes on load

Here is a copy of our conversation.

Perhaps you can unravel it

I also updated the bios..

==========================

Adolfo: Hello. Thank you for visiting Intel Customer Support. How can I help?

you: I have a D5400XS motherboard

you: SATA ports 4 and 5 are inactive, but 0 through 3 are ok. 4 and 5 don't show up in the bios either. I'm thinking there is somthing to configure here, perhaps the 2 eSATA need to be switched off somehow to get the last two internal SATA ports to function?

Adolfo: No, all internal SATA ports should work

Adolfo: I would recommend installing the latest BIOS version for this motherboard to see if that helps

you: I have discovered that some other people are experiencing the same problem?

Adolfo: Currently we do not have any report about an issue like this one

Adolfo: If the latest BIOS does not work, try doing a CMOS clear as instructed at:

Adolfo: http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/emea/eng/support/lcs/FAQ/411560.htm

you: ok

Adolfo: According to the documentation on this motherboard, the motherboard has 6 SATA ports including 2 eSATA ports, so if the first 4 (0 to 3) are working fine, I suppose the last 2 ports are the eSATA ports, so I would recommend enabling the secondary SATA controller on the BIOS of the motherboard and make sure they are enabled.

Adolfo: The option to enable them should be on Advance / peripheral configuration.

you: Can you run me through this process.please?

Adolfo: Let me check something

Adolfo: I just checked the BIOS of one of those motherboards and this is expected behavior, basically depending on the mode the BIOS is set to, in IDE model it will show only the Intel SATA ports, in RAID mode it will show only the ports that have a device connected, and on AHCI it will show all ports 0-5

Adolfo: but the fact that in IDE mode the BIOS does not show the SATA ports 4-5 it does not mean that they are disabled

Adolfo: You can test that by just connecting any eSATA device on the 4-5 ports and the system most show those devices

Adolfo: Another easier way is just to connect a hard drive on those ports and then while booting up the system you can press F10 to see all bootable devices and the system most show the hard drives connected on those particular ports.

Adolfo: Is there anything else I can do for you at this moment?

you: Thanks I will see what I can do..

Adolfo: Thank you for using chat. We value your suggestions and would appreciate it if you would take a moment to complete our survey. The survey will appear when you click "Close''  to close the chat window. Have a nice day.

• 9. Re: D5400XS SATA PORTS NOT WORKING
                          james.jack

I think if you are running Vista or Windows 7 then AHCI mode should work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahci

I'll try and let you know.

Best Regards,

James

• 10. Re: D5400XS SATA PORTS NOT WORKING
                            james.jack

Solution: Switch on AHCI

When installing W7/Vista, the OS installer detects whether the system is using AHCI or not. If not, the installer will disable the AHCI driver.
                            And if you subsequently enable AHCI in the BIOS after W7 is installed, W7 will BSOD because AHCI driver is disabled.
                            AHCI driver does not plug & play because it will enlengthen the boot process.

The way to enable AHCI after installation is -
                            - Set BIOS back to IDE
                            - Start Windows
                            - Run Registry Editor
                            - Go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
                            - Change the "Start" value to 0
                            - Reboot and go to BIOS immediately
                            - Set BIOS to AHCI

The next time you load Windows, it will auto-detect the AHCI.