The Galileo Gen 1 is one of the supported boards: https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/8d/f0/PLATFORM_SUPPORT.pdf
There is support for:
- High Precision Event Timer (HPET)
- Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) bus query
- Serial Ports in Polling and Interrupt Driven Modes
For the first release we added support to the Galileo Gen 2 for:
- Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) flash
- General-Purpose Input/Output (GPIO)
- Inter-Integrated Circuit (I2C)
The Galileo Gen 1 used different I/O chips than Gen 2. If you wanted to use Arduino shields on Galileo Gen 1, support for SPI / GPIO / I2C could be added.
I tried using my Galileo Gen 1 and was able to successfully use the image to connect to Helix App Cloud. I was then able to build, download, and run the "Empty C" example to the board and see the printf("Hello World\n") statement I added appear over the Console.
Hope that helps!