4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 12:23 PM by erb

NUC5i5 BIOS

erb

Received my new NUC5i5RYH yesterday, I’m unable to enter the BIOS setup (F2) either with Pearstone HDMI to mini adapter or with a Pearstone HDMI to mini cable. Can access boot (F10) or flash (F7) NOT F2 for BIOS setup. Monitors are both TVs, Panasonic HDTV. NUC boots and can load system, just not able to access the BIOS… I was able to flash to the latest version RY0350.BIO, thinking that was the problem, but no.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: NUC5i5 BIOS
          ivanu_intel

Hello erb,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

There are two common causes that BIOS Setup will not open. Either Fast Boot has been enabled or the HDMI resolution of the monitor is not supported.

You can disable fast boot by following these steps:

• Make sure the system is off.
          • Press the power button and hold it down. The system emits three short beeps from the PC speaker. You can plug headphones into the front panel audio jack to hear the beeps.
          • After the beeps, release the power button before the 4-second shutdown override. The power button menu displays.
          • Press F3 to disable Fast Boot.

If the above information does not work, try removing BIOS configuration jumper that is located on the motherboard, you will need to open the chassis and you will see a jumper like the one showing on the image bellow.

Jumper.PNG

Remove the jumper from the motherboard.

Turn on the system. The system boots directly into Maintenance mode, where you can select F2 to access the BIOS, once you’re in the BIOS press F9 on your keyboard to set the BIOS to default settings and press F10 to save the changes, after that is done, make sure the system is off and place the jumper back on, turn on the system and see if now you can access the BIOS by pressing F2 on your keyboard.

Please let me know if that can help you.

Thank you!

• 2. Re: NUC5i5 BIOS
            erb

Thanks for your reply; I was finally able to access the BIOS (F2), by purchasing yet another adapter and connecting my NUC to a DVI monitor.  I am far from being an expert but this eliminates “fast boot” as the problem. The article you reference (Cannot Access BIOS Setup with F2 Key) states “HDMI resolution is not supported” as the second potential problem and goes on to state that a BIOS update resolves that problem. Obviously it does not as in my original post I stated that I had upgraded to the latest BIOS and the problem still persists. With the exception of this BIOS problem, I am overall happy with the 5i5 performance, having to move the NUC to other monitors for BIOS access is not a solution. I will be happy to provide Intel with additional information as required, please advise.

Thank you, erb.

• 3. Re: NUC5i5 BIOS
              IvanUmana

Hello erb,

We have tried this unit in our labs and we don’t get this behavior; we are using straight connection from the TV to the NUC, we used Mini-DP 1.2 to a DisplayPort TV/Monitor and we tested Mini-HDMI 1.4a to a TV/Monitor and we don’t see this behavior.

At his point we did not use any adapters because he don’t recommend adapters as they can interfere with  problems like the one you are experiencing and also with bad resolution and any other problems, we recommend using straight connection from the Mini-DP 1.2 to a DisplayPort TV/Monitor and Mini-HDMI 1.4a to a TV/Monitor

Thanks,

• 4. Re: NUC5i5 BIOS
                erb

Ivan, indeed I would have been surprised if you could duplicate this trouble. I was looking for some work-around using my Panasonic Plasma HDTV’s while accessing the NUC’s BIOS. It would appear to me, again Not an expert, that there is a compatibility problem with the Visual BIOS display and my HDTVs. As I stated in my original post, F7 and F10 work, but they present in TEXT not the BIOS visual display. Thanks for your help, I have opened a ticket.