3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2015 9:19 AM by mikec_intel

Intel Compute Stick linux wireless driver

JavierA

Hi all,

I've been trying a customized Ubuntu 14.04 on an Intel Compute Stick, but I'm facing troubles with the internal wireless device.... 

Which is the driver to be used with this internal device . There's not much information about this in the manual. The link to drivers doesn't have drivers for linux either. How can I make it work?

What does the factory Ubuntu 14.04 have that does not have other Ubuntu 14.04 distros? Why Intel is not providing clear specifications about onboard wireless under Ubuntu??

After upgrading to kernel 3.19 the output of lspci looks a little better, but there's still nothing in "iw list" (something similiar was asked here: Where to find specification of Wireless Adapter of ComputerSticks ?)

# lspci -knn

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation ValleyView SSA-CUnit [8086:0f00] (rev 0f)

Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2061]

Kernel driver in use: iosf_mbi_pci

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation ValleyView Gen7 [8086:0f31] (rev 0f)

Kernel driver in use: i915

00:1a.0 Encryption controller [1080]: Intel Corporation ValleyView SEC [8086:0f18] (rev 0f)

Kernel driver in use: mei_txe

00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation ValleyView USB Enhanced Host Controller [8086:0f34] (rev 0f)

Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation ValleyView Power Control Unit [8086:0f1c] (rev 0f)

Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich

# lsb_release -a

No LSB modules are available.

Distributor ID:    Ubuntu

Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS

Release:    14.04

Codename:    trusty

# uname -a

Linux device18775 3.19.0-31-generic #36~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 8 10:21:08 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

• 1. Re: Intel Compute Stick linux wireless driver
          mikec_intel

Hi JavierA,

I am sorry for the inconvenience; however, Ubuntu support is only available through Ubuntu community, Intel does not provide with drivers. Compute stick uses generic drivers.

Please request information using the link below: Ubuntu Forums

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: Intel Compute Stick linux wireless driver
            JavierA

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your answer.

I know, and I understand, that Intel doesn't support Ubuntu, but Intel is shipping the Intel Compute Stick with an Ubuntu 14.04 in which the wifi driver is fully operative. It seems that driver is not included in the kernel of the "normal" Ubuntu 14.04 version. Hardware doesn't even list in dmesg, or any other operating system tool, so no way to know the model and vendor of the wifi interface in order to find a driver. Intel is shpping a "modified" Ubuntu, so I was just asking which is that driver (or even the hardware model and vendor) that Intel is using. I'm not asking for Ubuntu support at all,.. I just need to know the driver and hardware that Intel is shipping with the Intel Compute Stick.

Thank you.

Regards,

• 3. Re: Intel Compute Stick linux wireless driver
              mikec_intel

Hi JavierA,

The wireless card included on the Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A8LFC is Realtek, model: RTL8723BS 802.11n. The next model will include an Intel card with AC.

Regards,
              Mike C