Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel(R) 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

idata
Employee

hy, i have a dell optiplex 755 with an onboard intel 82566dm-2 gigabit conexion, problem is that my card has the folowing mac : FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and it seems it canot recive any packages, its instaled corectly (at first i tought its a driver problem) tryed it on windows xp, vista and win 7, same problem on any os. even tryed it in linux, same mac...so i read up a bit and someone said i have to update or repair the card eprom. can any one provide some assistance ? thanks.

8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi littlej -

You are correct that the EEPROM for the onboard LAN is invalid. Since it is an integrated part of the motherboard, have you tried to contact DELL for support on fixing the EEPROM? In the mean time, you can also use a feature called Locally Administered Address (LAA) in Windows in the device manager for the network port to put in a self configured MAC address. In Linux, you can set a new MAC address using ifconfig.

Note that this does not fix the problem, but rather should give you a good MAC address so you can send and receive Ethernet frames. Please still contact DELL for support on fixing the LAN EEPROM.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

-- miles

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hy, thanks for your quick reply, at the same time i posted on intel communities i posted onto dell's communities. i just gaved a try seting the mac manualy it works corectly, but still i wana solve this problem thanks a gain for a quick reply

idata
Employee

hi

I have a dell Optiplex 755 with Intel Gigabit on board lan which is installed with the latest driver from intel win32 but the only problem is that it shows the error code 10 this device cannot start i also have tried with windows XP, Vista and windows 7 but the problem is still the same and not resolved i have also run the dell diagnostics utility with bootable cd and it passed all the hardware successfully with no hardware problem found. please advise my why this lan card is showing me this message on my device manager if the driver is installed properly, I have also contact to dell support but they fail to realise what is causing this error and they have no such idea but they told me that this is because the hardware issue not a driver issue and i need to replace the motherboard all i want is to make sure that is this really a hardware issue or just a driver conflict or some thing wrong with the driver

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ali -

Thank you for using Intel Ethernet, and I am sorry that you are getting this code message on your machine. I would agree with the conclusion from your tech support call with DELL in that something is wrong. Earlier in the thread there was discussion of setting the LAA which worked, but you are getting a code 10 driver start failure which tells me that something else is wrong as the driver is starting up your network connection and applying a LAA will not do anything for you in this situation. This could be a variety of things and it is tough to speculate.

Cheers,

-- miles

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

ok then suggest me that is this my lan card issue is related to hardware problem is there no solution for me iam also using PCI LAN card which works fine but all i want to know that is there no such solution for this problem or i still hope for some solution

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ali -

Since the LAN on your motherboard is an integrated component of your motherboard, I recommend the proposed solution that you received from DELL customer support. I hope that you have a speedy resolution.

Thank you again for using Intel Ethernet.

Cheers,

-- miles

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You mean to say that there is no solution for this problem except changing the motherboard well this is also not an easy option for me, i am using PCI LAN card which works fine and i will keep using this because i prefer using PCI lan card rathar than changing the entire motherboard.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey, my soultion was to clone my mac address from an older pc of mine. In windows 7 - local area connection - properties - advanced - local administred address - and click ok. At least this solved my problem and its working well for some time already.

0 Kudos