7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2010 8:25 AM by hassan_2010

Intel 945G Express

mashcaster

Dear Intel Support Community,

I have tried contacting Dell about this, but did not receive the needed help which is why I am posting here.  It appears that motherboard in my computer Dell Optiplex GX520 is made by Intel.  My question is, is there any reason why I cannot use SATA2 HDDs on this motherboard which are 1Tb and above?

I look forward your replies.

Best regards

• 1. Re: Intel 945G Express
          Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi

Theoretically the 945g express chipset will support Sata2:"Serial ATA* (SATA) 3 Gb/s

High-speed storage interface supports faster transfer rate for improved data access." http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/chipsets/945g/945g-overview.htm

But as the chipset will be OEM it is possible that it has been limited in someways. Have you tried setting the HDD as SATA 1 to test?

In terms of sze i don't believe there would b a limit unless you are using FAT32.

• 2. Re: Intel 945G Express
            mashcaster

>> In terms of sze i don't believe there would b a limit unless you are using FAT32.

I do not have the 1tb HDD yet.  I just wanted to confirm that the board would be able to handle a 1tb HDD.  Is it possible to confirm this some how? 

• 3. Re: Intel 945G Express
              Cpt.Dogfruit

Do you know the exact model of the board?

Even then the issue will be because it is oem, they could have limited the chipset however they want...

• 4. Re: Intel 945G Express
                Curious592

It is probably safe to assume that the transfer rate hasn't been jumpered to SATA1 for a new 1TB drive, however the issue is probably activation of AHCI.  I have had issues with this in a non-RAID/non IDE setup.  Can this be done now for a modern board?

• 5. Re: Intel 945G Express
                  Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

Again i dont really understand what you are saying...

"It is probably safe to assume that the transfer rate hasn't been jumpered to SATA1 for a new 1TB drive"  It is not that the drive has been limited but the chipset on the motherboard, i am pretty sure even now apple limit some of their boards to SATA1.

"however the issue is probably activation of AHCI.  I have had issues with this in a non-RAID/non IDE setup.  Can this be done now for a modern board?" Erm.... The only way you will be able to see if you can change these setting on your board will be looking in the BIOS, but i would think it is set up as default with SATA as ide, not RAID nor AHCI. I dont understand how you have had issue with this in a NON RAID/NON IDE setup?????? so you have had issues with an AHCI setup??

Anyways the bottom line is that you shoudln't have any problems that can't be overcome, if you get any problems at all.

• 6. Re: Intel 945G Express
                    Curious592

The 945G Express era saw mass adoption of SATA and some HDs were jumpered in the event that they were placed on systems that didn't handle the faster speed.  Very few hard drives could actually exceed the IDE maximum so this was mostly irrelevant.  I tried to implement the SATA on 945 (spin-up problems) and 45 (probably unrelated BIOS) systems and had problems that were avoided by using IDE but I would like to know if true SATA can be implemented w/o RAID by simply setting to AHCI in the BIOS.  I read documentation fairly throroughly during the 945 era and found little help.  I am about to install Win 7 and furlough the 945 now and if SATA2 is being implemented it seems backward to still use IDE.  Sorry my brain misformatted about the drive jumpering @$%.

• 7. Re: Intel 945G Express

HP PAVILLION     A1620N media center motherboard manufactrer ASUS  P5LP-LE