9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 2:47 AM by Aryan2411

How tell if BIOS sees SATA drive on D845PEBT2 mobo?

vitalpilot

I can see in the BIOS that the floppy and DVD-RW are being detected but the Seagate 1.5 TB SATA drive is not.  My BIOS version is 08.  I have configured the jumper on the drive to revert to the 1.5 GB speed of SATA I.

How tell if BIOS sees SATA drive on D845PEBT2 mobo?

Thanks a Million,

McClint

• 1. Re: How tell if BIOS sees SATA drive on D845PEBT2 mobo?
          Aryan2411

Hello,

Well, if the sata drive is set as ide, it should be detected in the bios. See attached picture.

If it set as raid, you can check in the raid oprom bios.

Make sure to use the latest bios version as it has the latest Raid Bios Oprom Firmware.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/6473/ENG/P10-0024.pdf

I dont know if there is any limitations for Terabytes Drives. Check with a smaller sata drive as a test.

Check Seagate Troubleshooter as well.

From the Product Specs:

The Silicon Image SiI 3112a is a PCI-to-Serial ATA (SATA) controller of individual drives or a RAID configuration. The controller supports:
          • Two SATA hard disk drives
          • 150 MB/sec data transfer
          • RAID 0 (striping)
          • RAID 1 (mirroring)
          • Booting from an individual drive or set of RAID drives

Booting from an individual drive or RAID set can be enabled or disabled in the BIOS Setup’s Boot menu.

The SATA drives can be enabled or disabled as a RAID set in the BIOS Setup’s Boot menu. To use the RAID option, two SATA hard disk drives are required. When RAID is disabled, the drives are treated as individual SATA drives.

To enable and configure the drives as a RAID set:
          • Serial ATA Boot and Serial ATA RAID must both be enabled in the Boot menu in BIOS
          Setup.
          • Silent Boot must be disabled in the Boot menu in BIOS Setup to provide access to the RAID
          Configuration Utility. The utility can then be accessed by pressing the F3 key during POST.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

3012.PNG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How tell if BIOS sees SATA drive on D845PEBT2 mobo?
            vitalpilot

Thank you very much for your prompt and very informative response.

I updated the BIOS to P10.0024:

BIOS Main Screen.JPG

I am not planning on doing the RAID thing quite yet.  For now I'd like to just setup my drive as just a lone SATA boot.  The image of the advanced tab you provided I cannot locate.  My main Advanced tab looks like the following and none of the subcategories appear as what you have provided as an image.

BIOS Advanced Screen.JPG

Where is the "Advanced" -> "Drive Config" screen located?

Thanks a Million,

McClint

• 3. Re: How tell if BIOS sees SATA drive on D845PEBT2 mobo?
              Aryan2411

Hello,

Since i have never used an old intel desktop board, i dont know all the options.

Anyway, it should be similar.

I guess that it would be ide configuration.

What do you have in IDE and Boot Configuration?

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How tell if BIOS sees SATA drive on D845PEBT2 mobo?
                vitalpilot

Rajiv Doolub,

I appreciate your continued support and patience in my frustration.

In answer to your questions... Here is my IDE Configuration Screen:

BIOS IDE Configuration Screen.JPG

And here my Boot Screen:

BIOS Boot Screen.JPG

What are the hours of operation inwhich support professionals like yourself work in these forums?

Your information and service has been exemplary, thank you,

McClint D

• 5. Re: How tell if BIOS sees SATA drive on D845PEBT2 mobo?
                  Aryan2411

Hello,

I am happy to help you.

I dont have a fixed time when i am on the community. Most of the time, i do all my posting when i am at home or during my free time.

Regarding the screenshot:

Let's forget about the IDE configuration as this is only for PATA connection/IDE components.

I am sorry that i am not too familiar with this old intel board.

Booting from an individual drive or RAID set can be enabled or disabled in the BIOS Setup’s Boot menu.

Enable SERIAL ATA Boot from Boot COnfiguration

This should enable the sata controller for the individual drive.

If you were having a raid configuration, then these options should be enabled and disabled:

Silent Boot >> Disabled

Serial ATA RAID >> Enabled.

But this is not your case. Leave them both as disabled.

Dont connect the DVD drive for now. Let's see if the SATA drive can be detected.

If the drive is detected, i guess that it would appear during post.

Make sure to test the harddrive on another working system.

Let me know how it goes.

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 6. Re: How tell if BIOS sees SATA drive on D845PEBT2 mobo?
                    vitalpilot

Rajiv Doolub,

Thank you for your continued support.  I'm learning a lot.

I enables the Booting via SATA.  I then tried disconecting the DVD-RW drive, rebooted, and I believe the drive is being detected because the following screen comes up:

SATA Drive Detected Screen.JPG

However, this is as far as the system startup goes... It just stops at this screen. So I reconnected the DVD-RW drive a rebooted with the Win Vista Ult DVD and still I come to this screen.  It seems as if the DVD-RW drive with Win Vista DVD is ignored.  When I try to <F2> into the BIOS setup screens I can't.  The boot still ends at this screen.  The only way I've found to escape this  loop is to pull the battery from the mobo to reset the BIOS.

Thanks Again a Million,

McClint

• 7. Re: How tell if BIOS sees SATA drive on D845PEBT2 mobo?
                      Aryan2411

Hello,

Thanks for all the information. It is great to learn new things although the board is very old.

Try to connect the SATA drive and a SATA DVD Drive and let me know if you can install the OS.

Dont use any IDE devices.

The reason that i am telling you this is:

There is something in the manual that confuses me:

The Desktop Board D845PEBT2 includes one of the following:
                      • SATA subsystem consisting of:
                      — Silicon Image SiI 3112A controller supporting individual drives, and RAID 0
                      and RAID 1 configurations
                      — Two SATA connectors supporting a total of two drives

• IDE RAID subsystem consisting of:
                      — Promise† Technology PDC20267 ATA/100 controller supporting RAID 0,
                      RAID 1, and RAID 0+1 configurations
                      — Two IDE connectors supporting a total of four drives (Boards with IDE RAID
                      have four IDE connectors. Two are connected to the IDE RAID controller)

Try it and let me know further.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 8. Re: How tell if BIOS sees SATA drive on D845PEBT2 mobo?
                        vitalpilot

Rajiv Doolub,

I disconnected all IDE devices. Tried putting the HD on the SATA 0 port, and Win Vista Ult DVD in the DVD-RW on the SATA 1 port and the BIOS stops at this screen shortly after boot:

1.JPG

I also tried putting the DVD-RW SATA drive with Win Vista Ult on SATA port 0, and the SATA HD on SATA port 1 and the BIOS stops at this screen:

2.JPG

There are as you read, 2 SATA connectors on the mobo.  In the BIOS there is the option to enable/disable SATA Boot, and enable/disable SATA RAID Boot.

I really appreciate you taking the extra time to go over the literature of my mobo.  If we can find the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow, please let me know if you have a supervisor, and I will be sure to put in a great word for you, if you'd like...

Thanks a Million, a Million More,

McClint

• 9. Re: How tell if BIOS sees SATA drive on D845PEBT2 mobo?
                          Aryan2411

Hello,

Well, as we can see from the screen, both devices can be detected.

My question:

Set the DVD drive as the first boot device in the bios. Save and Exit
                          Can you boot onto the DVD drive with the Windows Vista DVD?

If yes, press any key to continue message should appear, then i guess that you will need to continue the OS installation.

One more thing, please note this board is quite old and OS vista has never been validated on it. I dont know what sort of problem you may encounter in the future.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-008326.htm

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan/