2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 2:09 AM by Cpt.Dogfruit

PSU recommendation, RE: New DQ45CB/Q8200

Paul_DQ45CB

Hi,

I just bought a DQ45CB mobo and a Core 2 Quad Q8200 CPU. I've been searching all over the Intel site for PSU recommendations, but, if Intel recommends a PSU, I can't find it. So, I was wondering what you folks think? I bought a Antec 350W ATX12V, but now I'm second guessing my decision.

I'm using an old Antec Sonata case. I'm not planning on putting a graphics card in this box. All it will have is 4 sata 160gb HDD's, a dvd/cd, and a floppy. Also, I'll need a PCI card for an additional sata controller for the dvd/cd.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul

Message was edited by: Paul_DQ45CB

• 1. Re: PSU recommendation, RE: New DQ45CB/Q8200
          Nico

you should try yours first, then think of a new one. antec is a good choice. i prefer the true power series - e.g. the TP3-550 ATX 2.3, but you dont need that much power.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PSU recommendation, RE: New DQ45CB/Q8200
            Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi

To find the PSU requirements for the Intel boards you need to look in the technical specification of the board: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/16958/eng/DQ45CB_TechProdSpec.pdf  Under Technical reference >electrical considerations> Power supply considerations.

For this board it says:

The +5 V standby line from the power supply must be capable of providing adequate
            +5 V standby current. Failure to do so can damage the power supply. The total
            amount of standby current required depends on the wake devices supported and
            manufacturing options.
            Additional power required will depend on configurations chosen by the integrator.
            The power supply must comply with the indicated parameters of the ATX form factor
            specification.
            • The potential relation between 3.3 VDC and +5 VDC power rails
            • The current capability of the +5 VSB line
            • All timing parameters
            • All voltage tolerances
            For example, for a system consisting of a supported 65 W processor (see Section 1.4
            on page 14 for a list of supported processors), 1 GB DDR2 RAM, one hard disk drive,
            one optical drive, and all board peripherals enabled, the minimum recommended
            power supply is 90 W.

Dosen't really help too much... Just add up all the individual components power requirements and then go a bit higher and you will be fine!

1 of 1 people found this helpful