1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 11:51 AM by Amy_Intel

poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics

GB1955

Hi all I hope someone out there can help with this!

I just bought a new PC i5 4460 using the Intel 4600 graphics and Windows 10, Quite frankly the picture on the monitor is crap! The text is fuzzy and photos are nowhere near sharp enough, certainly not HD.

I have read many many many web pages with people having this issue, but none of the solutions (mostly around changing settings) works for me. My previous PC used a Radeon graphics card (brilliant quality and no issues), am I expecting too much of the Intel 4600 to produce the same quality?

I have tried loading new drivers via the Intel Driver Utility which said I should install 15.33.38.4252, this had issues (entry points not found) at the end of the install, but did seem to install. When using Windows Device Manager to update to the latest driver it installs 10.18.15.4279 (which is what the system came with) so Intel and Microsoft seem to disagree about the latest versions.

I have a 24in monitor which on my previous PC just plugged and played, on the new PC I had to change the scaling (from 100x100 to 66 vertical x 72 horizontal) to get the picture to fit on the screen! Resolution (as recommended by Windows) is at 1920x1080.

Hopefully someone out there can help.

Thanks

• 1. Re: poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics
          Amy_Intel

Hello GB1955,

Please try with the latest graphics version Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen], you can install the driver using the following method Desktop graphics drivers — How to Manually Install a Driver in Microsoft Windows 8* or Windows 8.1*.

Let me know your findings,

Regards,

Amy.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics
            GB1955

Hi Amy

Thanks for this, however it hasn't made any difference, the black text still looks fuzzy and my pictures all look a bit too bright and the colours un-natural.

When I looked at the Driver Details in Device Manager it said the driver was version - 20.19.15.4300 not 15.40.10.64.4300 which is what I downloaded?

Any other suggestions most welcome

Cheers

Gary

• 3. Re: poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics
              Amy_Intel

Please fill out the following form Default level information for reporting Graphics issues and post it here, make sure to follow closely all the instructions on the post so we can replicate the issue.

Now, when it comes to the driver version, these are often referred to by either build number or driver version; in your case there is no difference between the two. The last four digits of the downloaded driver will indicate if it is the same driver posted it in our site which is .4300, the rest of numbers are just for internal reference.

For more driver build information, please visit Graphics Drivers — Understanding The Intel® Graphics Driver Version Number.

Regards.

• 4. Re: poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics
                GB1955

Hi Amy

form completed as you suggested.

I have inserted 6 screen shots of info required.

I have some other data files but cannot see how to attached them to the post.

I will have another look.

Regards

Gary

System and graphics info.jpgTV info.jpghardware ids.jpgintel system support utility.jpgintel system support utility.jpgintel driver update utility.jpgou suggested and files attached with relevant info.device manager.jpg

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

I just bought a new PC i5 4460 using the Intel 4600 graphics and Windows 10, Quite frankly the picture on the monitor is crap! The text is fuzzy and photos are nowhere near sharp enough, certainly not HD.

I have read many many many web pages with people having this issue, but none of the solutions (mostly around changing settings) works for me. My previous PC used a Radeon graphics card (brilliant quality and no issues), am I expecting too much of the Intel 4600 to produce the same quality?

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?
                If you can offer a % rate please do.

All the time

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Zoostorm (UK brand) – i5 4460

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Only has the Intel 4600 graphics unit

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                LFP
                = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

I am using a Digimate (DGM) TV screen as my monitor

Model – ETV-2493WHC

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

12gb

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

HDMI (TV end) to DVI (PC end)

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

See screen shots

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

NA

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Single display monitor

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

1920x1080 60hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

Plugged in AC

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

NA

• 5. Re: poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics
                  GB1955

Hi Amy

I have three files I wanted to attached, but cannot see how you do that?

1. dispdiag-intel-issue.dat
                  2. dxdiag.txt
                  3. intel system support utility xml file.xml

How do you do this?

Regards

Gary

• 6. Re: poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics
                    Amy_Intel

Go to Reply,

Capture2.PNG

Once there, on the upper right side you will see the following;

Capture.PNG

Click on "Use Advanced editor"

Capture1.PNG

Finally, you will be able to attach the files on the "Attach" option.

Regards.

• 7. Re: poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics
                      GB1955

Hi Amy

Thanks for that.

The files are now attached to the thread.

Regards

Gary

• 8. Re: poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics
                        Amy_Intel

Thank you for the information.

Let me investigate this matter, I will be updating this thread.

Regards.

• 9. Re: poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics
                          Amy_Intel

Hello Gary,

I noticed from the screen shots you attached that you're missing the driver for your monitor;

Capture.PNG

Have you tried installing it from the monitor manufacturer?

Have you tried with a different monitor?

Have you tried with a different cable?

Do you have the Clear Type feature on? If you need more information about this you can visit Turn off or on Clear Type Text in Windows 10.

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Let me know if that helps.

Amy.

• 10. Re: poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics
                            GB1955

Hi Amy

My monitor is a TV and there is no specific driver, I have checked the manufacturer's website, hence it using the generic driver. This worked fine on my old PC.

I am hopefully trying a different (PC not TV) monitor today with a different cable.

I have tried CLEARTYPE, it doesn't make any difference.

Will let you know how I get on with a different monitor.

Regards

Gary

• 11. Re: poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics
                              GB1955

Hi Amy

I tried a different monitor yesterday, a specific PC monitor not a TV (like the one I am currently using).

The clarity was certainly better, although not perfect, and the monitor was much more versatile than the TV in being able to change light, contrast, colour settings.

After the test we concluded that there are probably two things going on ...

1. the NVIDIA graphics card in my previous PC is a higher quality than the Intel 4600 and more "flexible" in how it works with the TV

2. To get the best out of the Intel card I will need a PC monitor not a generic TV 

Any thoughts you have on this or if you have found anything else would be most welcome.

Cheers

Gary

• 12. Re: poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics
                                Sunspark

Some things,

-Black levels will need to be adjusted. TV levels are 16-235, PC levels are 0-255. They will look the same if both are set the same. If you set your computer to TV levels on a display that is PC, you get washed out blacks. If you set PC levels on a display set for TV you get crushed blacks. One of the advanced options will let you specify whether to output TV or PC levels to the display.

-TV is probably set for chroma 4:2:2. You need chroma 4:4:4 for best text clarity and colour. Research how to do this, you likely need to rename the HDMI input on your tv to PC to make it change the chroma to 4:4:4. Using 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 will always be fuzzier text. You do this renaming on the TV not the computer.

-Text fuzziness could also be a rendering issue. Windows 10 uses greyscale subpixel antialiasing. This is different from Windows 7 with IE8 (changed with IE9 and up) which used RGB subpixel antialiasing.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics
                                  GB1955

Thanks for the advice, but my TV doesn't have the facility (as far as I am aware) to make the very "low level" changes that you have suggested.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I am expecting too much of the Intel graphics card when compared to the NVIDIA one that is in my old PC (Windows 7), however reading other's comments on the net I don't think that Windows 10 helps. On my old PC I just plugged in the TV and it was picture perfect without any adjustment required.

I have lost count of the hours (wasted) trying to get a good quality picture with the new PC, Intel graphics and Windows 10.

Thanks again

Gary

• 14. Re: poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics
                                    Sunspark

In the "Video" portion of the graphics control panel settings: Basic Tab > Input Range selected to Driver Settings > Limited Range or Full Range

1 2 Previous Next