2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2015 8:57 AM by kanehau

Ubuntu vs Windows vs Roadmap (was Warranty)

kanehau

I can't really understand Intel's thinking on this issue.

Judging from the reviews and comments on the web, the Ubuntu stick is completely under-resourced.  1/2 the RAM and 1/4 the on-board storage of the Windows version.

Most of the comments are of the order:  "After it runs for awhile, it just gets sluggish to the point where it becomes unusable".

My application involves telemetry sensing and control, where we are probing hundreds of sensors and controlling a variety of electronic devices.  All telemetry is recorded to mySQL databases.

Having an underpowered stick is simply not an option.

However, I purchased the Windows version and put Ubuntu 14.04 on it, which seems to run extremely well.

WHY would INTEL choose to VOID a warranty by putting an OS on the stick that they themselves support for the underpowered stick?

This is simply a very bad decision, nothing more.

Sell the 2GB/32GB Stick with EITHER WINDOWS or UBUNTU on it.  Quit goofing around.

• 1. Re: Ubuntu vs Windows vs Warranty
          kevin_intel

Hello kanehau,

The reason why the warranty is voided when installing a different operating system version in the compute stick is that it is a bundle OS that and we can ensure the system as whole will work as expected.

My best recommendation is to get the Compute Stick with the correct Operating System so you users can comply with the Terms and Conditions for the Warranty

Kevin M

• 2. Re: Ubuntu vs Windows vs Warranty
            kanehau

Thank you for your reply Kevin:

I guess my complaint is not so much the warranty, but rather the Ubuntu version of the Stick is vastly under-resourced (with 1/2 the RAM and 1/4 the onboard storage) - so much so as to make it unusable for anything but the simplest of projects.

Over the weekend I looked into the Compute Stick in more detail and up popped the following Roadmap via Google search:

compute-stick-roadmap.jpg

It is fairly obvious, by looking at this roadmap, the the Ubuntu model will continue to be under-resourced, while the Windows model will, by Fall City 2, have double the on-board storage.

Likewise, Cedar City looks to be Windows only - so no benefit at all to Ubuntu users.

Assuming that this roadmap is correct, there will be minimal improvements, if any at all, to the Ubuntu line.

I simply don't understand the thinking in trying to market an underpowered stick.  Why not simply market the one stick with either Windows or Ubuntu?

As an aside, I was able to completely configure my Windows stick with Ubuntu 14.04.3. It is working VERY well.  I have our entire application running on it - it is fantastic!

We are currently using Raspberry PI, and I'm pushing to use these instead - vastly superior.  However, the roadmap makes my push all that much harder.

It is not an encouraging roadmap at all, and a most puzzling move from a marketing standpoint (as well as a technological standpoint).

I suspect the thinking here was to get one product under $100, no matter what.   That is a bad decision.  (Compare the Stick to the PI... you have to add power, storage, enclosure, etc, to the PI, bringing the cost close to the Stick - while still not delivering any where the power that the Stick does.)

PS:  I don't know if posting the roadmap is ok or not.  I found it using a public search and it is available on a public website - thus I posted it here.