1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 4:53 AM by GiuseppePegasus

Launch python script in html page

GiuseppePegasus

Hi,

I created a node js project into my Intel XDK. I use an Intel Edison and I want to use it as a web server.

I want to create an index.html page where there is a button and when the button is pressed it is launched a python script. I'm new on Edison and I have no idea to start with python on Edison.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards.

Giuseppe

• 1. Re: Launch python script in html page
          Salem_Intel

I will be moving this to the corresponding support group.

• 2. Re: Launch python script in html page
            CMata_Intel

Hi Giuseppe,

Having your python code in your board, you can use a system call in order to start it.

For example if you have a code named blink.py in /home/root you can create a Javascript code to run it with:

var SC = require('child_process')
            SC.exec("python /home/root/blink.py")

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Charlie

• 3. Re: Launch python script in html page
              GiuseppePegasus

Hi Charlie,

I tried with your suggestion but it doesn't work.

This is my mani.js:

<code>

//Required

var mraa = require('mraa'); //require mraa

var Cylon = require ('cylon');//require cylon

var querystring = require('querystring');

var express = require('express');

/////////////////////////////////////////////////START//

//Set Public folder

var app = express();

app.use(express.static(__dirname + '/public'));

app.get('/', function (req, res) {

res.sendFile(index.html);

});

//Start Listening

var server = app.listen(5555, function(){

var host = server.address().address;

var port = server.address().port; 

console.log('Example app listening at http://%s:%s', '192.168.0.179', port);

});

//Start dialog with index.html page

var io = require('socket.io').listen(server); // to dialog with the webpage

io.sockets.on('connection', function(socket){

//recieve client data with CYLON

socket.on('client_data', function(data){

});

//recieve client data

socket.on('launch_on', function(){

var PythonShell = require('python-shell');

var SC = require('child_process')

SC.exec("python test.py")

console.log('script launched');

});

});

</code>

and this is my HTML page with the button (when it is pressed it is launched the python script):

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html lang="us">

<head>

<meta charset="UTF-8">

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

<title>Elaborazione dati ECG-GSR</title>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/style.css">

<script src="https://cdn.socket.io/socket.io-1.3.5.js"></script>

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.2/jquery.js"></script>

<script>

//Connect with the server

var socket = io.connect();

//Send data to the server

$(document).ready(function(){

socket.emit('launch_on', {'message': 'launch_on'});

$('#launch_on').click(function(e){

socket.emit('launch_on');

});            

});

</script>

</head>

<!--------------------------------------------------------------------------->

<!---------------------------------- BODY ----------------------------------->

<!--------------------------------------------------------------------------->

<body>

<div id="page">

<div class="page_line">

<span class="welcome">Launch python script</span>

</div>

<div class="page_line">

<button id="launch_on" class="io_btn-s">Lancia Script</button>

</div>          

</div>

</body>

</html>

Hoping this is helpful for a solution.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Launch python script in html page
                mhahn

what does "does not work" mean? do you get an error message?

Maybe you need to put the full path "/usr/bin/python"?

• 5. Re: Launch python script in html page
                  GiuseppePegasus

Hi,

"does not work" it means when I press the button on the HTML page the python script don't show any result.

My python script is a simple print.

This is my HTML page in the browser.

ScreenHunter_39 Nov. 05 14.46.jpg

• 6. Re: Launch python script in html page
                    CMata_Intel

Hi Giussepe,

Do you have updates on this?

I saw on your code that you are not using Python-Shell, have you tried with something like:

PythonShell.run('test.py',function(err){
                            if (err) throw err;
                            console.log('finished');
                    });
                    console.log('script launched');

Regards,

Charlie

• 7. Re: Launch python script in html page
                      GiuseppePegasus

Hi Charlie,

I try with your suggestion:

//recieve client data

PythonShell.run('public/test.py',function(err){

if (err) throw err;

console.log('finished');

});

});     

but I receive the errors shown below. The file test.py is located in the public fold.

Some idea to resolve these errors?

Thanks.

giuseppe

The express app is running                                                                                                                                                             

-------------------------------------------------------------                                                                                                                          

Example app listening at http://192.168.0.231:5555                                                                                                                                     

ERROR: /home/root/.node_app_slot/main.js:36                                                                                                                                            

ERROR:         if (err) throw err;                                                                                                                                                     

ERROR:                  ^                                                                                                                                                        

ERROR: Error: python: can't open file 'public/test.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory                                                                                            

at PythonShell.parseError (/home/root/node_modules/python-shell/index.js:173:17)                                                                                                   

at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/home/root/node_modules/python-shell/index.js:80:28)                                                                                                 

at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:98:17)                                                                                                                                             

at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (child_process.js:820:12)

• 8. Re: Launch python script in html page
                        CMata_Intel

Hi Giuseppe,

Have you tried to put the entire location of the file instead of using public/test.py?

Also, is the same outcome when you put the test.py in the same folder of index.html and your main.js?

What is the output of running:

node --version

npm --version

configure_edison –version

Kind regards,

Charlie

• 9. Re: Launch python script in html page
                          GiuseppePegasus

Hi Charlie,

putting test.py in public or in the same directory of main.js don't changes anything. I have this error:

Example app listening at http://192.168.0.128:5555                                                                                                                                     

ERROR: /home/root/.node_app_slot/main.js:39                                                                                                                                            

ERROR:              ^                                                                                                                                                        

ERROR: Error: python: can't open file 'test.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory                                                                                                   

at PythonShell.parseError (/usr/lib/node_modules/python-shell/index.js:173:17)                                                                                                     

at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/node_modules/python-shell/index.js:80:28)                                                                                                    

The results of the commands suggested:

root@edison:~# node --version                                                                                                                                                          

v0.10.38                                                                                                                                                                               

root@edison:~# npm --version                                                                                                                                                           

3.3.10                                                                                                                                                                                 

root@edison:~# configure_edison --version                                                                                                                                              

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards.

giuseppe

• 10. Re: Launch python script in html page
                            CMata_Intel

Hi giuseppe,

I would like to know if you are running the same code as the one is attached.

Also, could you post a screenshot of what you get when you type ls -la in the folder where you have the main.js, the index.html and test.py?

Regards,

Charlie

• 11. Re: Launch python script in html page
                              GiuseppePegasus

Hi Charlie,

the code used is the same of my past post.

This is a screen shot of my Intel XDK IoT Edition when I give the ls -la command.

iot_intel.jpeg

Thanks.

Giuseppe.

• 12. Re: Launch python script in html page
                                mhahn

have you tried the debugger yet?

• 13. Re: Launch python script in html page
                                  mhahn

I just tested it: apparently absolute paths (like "/root/test.py") don't seem to work but rather relative paths to the upload folder /opt/xdk-daemon. I.e. "/root/test.py" would translate into "../../root/test.py"

• 14. Re: Launch python script in html page
                                    GiuseppePegasus

Thanks for your replies.

I put my test.py in the root directory and I tried with:

PythonShell.run('../../root/test.py', function(err){

if (err) throw err; 

console.log(err);

console.log('finished');

});

as suggested but I have these errors:

Example app listening at http://192.168.0.154:5555                                                                                                                                     

ERROR: /home/root/.node_app_slot/main.js:39                                                                                                                                            

ERROR:                     ^                                                                                                                                                        

ERROR: Error: python: can't open file '../../root/test.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory                                                                                        

at PythonShell.parseError (/usr/lib/node_modules/python-shell/index.js:173:17)                                                                                                     

at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/node_modules/python-shell/index.js:80:28)                                                                                                    

I have no idea...

Thanks.

giuseppe

1 2 Previous Next