Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Iris Pro 6200 doesn't clock down / idle?

MWies
Beginner

Hello,

sorry for my rookie english, I´m from Germany.

Today I´d installed my new i5-5675C and at first glance almost everything seems to run fine.

But my Iris Pro 6200 GPU doesn't idle, it always run at full 1100 MHz, also at 2D/Windows Desktop.

Only if I go to Intel graphic preferences and set energy options from "Balanced" (=Default) to "Battery

Saving", the GPU clocks down to 500 MHz. If I go back to "Balanced", it still holds 500 MHz.

BTW why 500 MHz, default Pro 6200 idle clock are 300 MHz? But 300 are only reachable with

Windows "Standard VGA Adpater", not with Intel driver -> also very curious...

After that I start a 3D game, quit it, back to Desktop -> GPU runs at durable 1100 MHz again.

If I keep "Battery Saving" this has no effect, as soon as I start+close a 3D software or reboot Windows,

GPU runs at constant 1100 MHz again, although "Battery Saving" is still selected.

Tried out all available Intel graphic driver versions, all with the same result. It doesn´t run any

software/background task which would load GPU all the time. Windows 7 GPU energy options

are automatically adjusted to the settings I choose at the Intel graphic/energy preferences.

By the way, the CPU idles fine at Desktop, only the GPU runs with full throttle all the time.

Is there any other Broadwell user here who can make the same detection? Thank you for every

statement or hint what I can do/try out now.

My system

ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mainboard

latest UEFI/BIOS P2.00 (Beta)

Intel Core i5-5675C

2x4 GB Corsair DDR3-2133 @ 2400 MHz @ 1.5000V

Windows 7 (64) Home Premium with newest updates

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello AX-Turbo,

Checking the information you posted, it seems that your system is working fine. The processor you have http://ark.intel.com/products/88095/Intel-Core-i5-5675C-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-5675C Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz) Specifications, it has a graphics base frequency of 300 MHz and a graphics max dynamic frequency of 1.1 GHz which is the equivalent of 1100 MHz that you mentioned, if you trying to change that parameter that will depend on the V-BIOS on your motherboard, you might need to check with ASRock about this matter.

Regards,

Amy.

MWies
Beginner

Ok that's a helpful hint, thank you.

Nevertheless, if coincidentally another ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac user with the same issue reads

this, please respond. Can´t believe that I´m the only one who noticed this problem.

0 Kudos
gbhj
New Contributor I

this post also relates to the same problem

for laptops the base clock rate is set by the registry option intLVDSSwingSetting

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello zeqzy,

Thank your for sharing that information.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
MWies
Beginner

Hello zeqzy and thank you for your answer.

I´ve found this entry 'intLVDSSwingSetting' about ten or twelfe times at my registry, all containing the value '0'.

Could it be advisable to enter another value there? Another question is, what value is the real base clock rate

of a Iris Pro 6200, which clocks variable between 300 and 1100 MHz?

Ok I keep this at the back of one's mind, first I´ll wait for lamely ASRock supports answer (if they'll ever answer).

0 Kudos
gbhj
New Contributor I

the information is found in the driver inf files

; 0x00 - Medium - Data and Clk Swing set to 298 mV

; 0x01 - High - Data and Clk Swing set to 320 mV

; 0x02 - Low1 - Data and Clk Swing set to 144 mV

; 0x04 - Low2 - Data and Clk Swing set to 170 mV

; 0x08 - Low3 - Data and Clk Swing set to 196 mV

; 0x10 - Low4 - Data and Clk Swing set to 220 mV

; 0x20 - Low5 - Data and Clk Swing set to 247 mV

; 0x40 - Low6 - Data and Clk Swing set to 273 mV

HKR,, IntLVDSSwingSetting,%REG_DWORD%, 0x00

this sets the voltage that is sent to the GPU the BIOS sets the voltage sent to the CPU and the value set here is the share of that power to be sent to the GPU

there is also an option to change the clock rate from what the GPU has set

HKR,, PNMClkDeviation, %REG_DWORD%, 0 ; Clock deviation value which is multiplied by 10.

HKR,, PNMFlags, %REG_DWORD%, 0 ; Bit0: Downward Deviation, Bit1: Upward Deviation. Bit2-31: Reserved.

e.g setting PNMClkDeviation to 20 and PNMFlags to 1 will lower 500 to 300

0 Kudos