4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2015 3:19 AM by edver

DX58S0 wont boot with PCIe SSD hdd

edver

Hi

I'm new on this forum witch means I had no problems in the many years i "work" with PC's (so far ).

I put a Kingston HyperX SSD HDD in PCIE 2.0 x4 /x16 slot,the BIOS sees it and recognize it but wont boot,HDD is not as a boot disk configured ! .

It keeps starting up over and over again,there is already a SSD HDD on a sata connection,this is my start up disk !,and that runs smooth

I have the latest bios,and so far as I know the right BIOS settings.

I hope I missed something in settings.

It is already an older board but it still runs but starting to be a bit slow for editing HD video's and I'm thinking of going for 4K so it will be very slow !

So if anybody has ideas ?

Eddy

• 1. Re: DX58S0 wont boot with PCIe SSD hdd
          N.Scott.Pearson

Eddy,

There is a big difference between the BIOS seeing a device and the BIOS being able to boot from a device. This device you have added is a true PCIe device. That is, it is not accessed through the chipset's SATA controllers; it is providing its own. To be able to boot from it, it would need to include an Op-ROM that provides a driver that the BIOS can use for accessing the drive and booting from it. It sounds like this device is not providing such an Op-ROM. If this is the case, you will need to boot from your other HDD and then access this device as a data drive with the appropriate drivers installed in the O/S environment. Alternatively, it may be that the Op-ROM is there but is providing only a UEFI driver. You could try enabling UEFI and see if this enables its usage. In this case, you may still need to load drivers before the O/S can recognize it.

Hope this helps,

...Scott

• 2. Re: DX58S0 wont boot with PCIe SSD hdd
            edver

Scott

Thanks for You're reaction

I tried to start with my normal HDD but it wont boot up ,trying to boot with DVD and Win7 disk in it, it give a fault not having enough ext memory !

I was thinking to use this a boot HDD but if it works I'l be happy having it as a data disk !

I try UEFI and see if it will change anything.

Thanks

Eddy

• 3. Re: DX58S0 wont boot with PCIe SSD hdd
              JFFulcrum

Try to update firmware of HyperX. Also, be sure that AHCI is enabled in BIOS for internal SATA controller (HyperX is a AHCI device too, so BIOS should load AHCI module globally through integrated controller settings).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DX58S0 wont boot with PCIe SSD hdd
                edver

JFFulcrum

My settings are RAID,and that setting (according Intel BIOS) is fully supporting AHCI,I wish I could update the firmware but therefor it has to boot and go one step further !

I can send the SSD HDD back with no problem,doing that and looking for an update for the MB and CPU would be probably the best thing for me now.

The MB / CPU are now +/- 7 years old (but still setting good performances) and lacking the new technologies ,witch are coming on the market at  light speed (for me).

So I'm putting my mind on changing that !

Thanks to You all for you're efforts

Eddy