10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2016 10:23 AM by mikec_intel

DX58SO Win 7 64-bit Drivers & Windows 10

tjg79

Hello,

I'm upgrading my OS from Win 7 Pro 64-bit to Win 10 Pro 64-bit. I'm going to perform a clean install. I don't see Win 10 64-bit versions of all the DX58SO driver downloads. Will the Win 7 64-bit drivers work with a Win 10 clean install?

Regards

• 1. Re: DX58SO Win 7 64-bit Drivers & Windows 10
          N.Scott.Pearson

No, they won't work and no, there are no Windows 10 drivers (explicitly) provided for this board. For the most part, the drivers available via Windows Update will have to suffice. You can, however, find some driver updates that you might be able to use; see this thread for some download links that you can try: DZ77RE-75K Windows 10 Drivers (no guarantees they will work).

...Scott

• 2. Re: DX58SO Win 7 64-bit Drivers & Windows 10
            tjg79

Thanks for the reply N.Scott.Pearson.

I'm not that knowledgeable about chipset compatibility between the NUC and the x58 5 series. Do you think installing Win 10 64-bit onto an Intel DX58SO w/Intel i7-980x cpu and then loading the NUC chipset driver for Win 10 64-bit would be fully compatible if it loads? Would there be some degraded function?

Thanks for the assistance.

Regards

• 3. Re: DX58SO Win 7 64-bit Drivers & Windows 10
              N.Scott.Pearson

This is the latest version of the INF Update package. It includes support for all chipset generations. It is likely that the same package is available via Windows Update as well.

There are places where you can access this package without going through the NUC pages, but this was easier for me to get to...

...Scott

• 4. Re: DX58SO Win 7 64-bit Drivers & Windows 10
                tjg79

Thanks again. Based on what you've indicated, I get the impression that the chipset driver is compatible.

What about the other drivers? You mentioned LAN and RST support in your referenced thread, but I'm wondering about the other drivers as well, such as Motorola Bluetooth, Ralink wireless adapter, Realtek Audio, Dolby Control Center, and Consumer IR Device.

Are these DX58SO board subsystems similar enough to the subsystems used on newer boards that the newer Win 10 drivers will load and function without loss of functionality?

Thanks again for the information.

Regards 

• 5. Re: DX58SO Win 7 64-bit Drivers & Windows 10
                  N.Scott.Pearson

As I said, most of the drivers for Intel silicon have updates available (somewhere) and most were also updated to Microsoft for Windows Update. As for the non-Intel silicon, some may be available through Windows Update but I am not sure. Here's stuff for you to try:

• I don't believe that whether there are updated drivers for the RALink adapter. It may be generic enough that it is covered by the drivers available through Windows Update. Checkj and see if its WLAN and Bluetooth functionality is working. If it is, don't touch it!
                  • There is an updated Realtek Audio driver package that you can try here: Download Audio: Realtek ALC Audio Driver for Intel® NUC. I believe that this is a universal package as well (i.e. contains definitions for older Codecs) so it should work (hopefully not famous last words).
                  • Probably out of luck for Dolby Control Center. This isn't something that was shipped in later generations.
                  • Your CIR support is provided by a Winbond SIO. Now, since the release timeframe for your board, Winbond became part of Nuvoton. I am unsure if the latest CIR package from Nuvoton contains support for the old Winbond SIOs, but you can try it and see. It is available here: Download Infrared: Nuvoton* Consumer Infrared (CIR) Driver for Intel® NUC. It won't hurt to try it; if it doesn't have support your board's SIO it will simply fail to install.

...Scott

• 6. Re: DX58SO Win 7 64-bit Drivers & Windows 10
                    tjg79

Thanks again for all the information.

I'll follow your guidance and see what happens. I'll post the results on this thread so that it might help others.

As for the CIR driver, I think that one is not necessary, because the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 2250 latest software package seems to have all the necessary drivers.

I was also reading some other posts on other boards and there was one pertaining to this topic that indicated Intel chipset drivers aren't real drivers for Series 7 and earlier boards. They are just inf files that give the proper names to the board components for the OS to display. That the board will function properly without any Intel chipset driver installed. I don't know how accurate that information is, but when I do a clean install with Win 7, before I load any drivers, I don't notice any functionality issues.

See the link below.

Other Drivers » Intel Chipset Device "Drivers" (= INF files)

Thanks again for all the assistance.

Regards

• 7. Re: DX58SO Win 7 64-bit Drivers & Windows 10
                      N.Scott.Pearson

That is absolutely correct. This is why I refer to it as the INF update package. All it is doing is providing updated INF files that provide the standard Intel/Microsoft drivers with the information needed to identify and configure the chipset optimally.

...S

• 8. Re: DX58SO Win 7 64-bit Drivers & Windows 10
                        ricardog_intel

Hope all this information works for you. Thanks S.Scoott.Pearson

• 9. Re: DX58SO Win 7 64-bit Drivers & Windows 10
                          anilnc

Hi, I have come to the same situation and hence I'm here.

So what happened to your installation?

I'm using DX58SO motherboard too but with i7 920 CPU. I bought a PCIe USB3 card which was giving some issues like HDD connection lost, Audio interface not able to update it's firmware while connected to the PCIe card, etc. Then the card manufacturer told it might be due to incompatibility with the card and my system. While asking Intel support team, they said first of all my motherboard and cpu are not supported for Windows 10. Maybe windows installed with compatibility mode or generic drivers, which might be the cause. They told me to try the card with windows 7 and see how it is.

I also had another issue. An Usb MIDI keyboard which was working just fine with windows 7 started to behave strange after windows 10 upgrade. That keyboard actually has windows 10 drivers. But I'm thinking if it is bcos motherboard is installed with microsoft's own drivers or installed them in compatible mode?

But since I have come across this post, I'd like to know your thoughts and experience with this. Didn't want to create new post.

Do you think that Windows installing its own drivers for motherboard and cpu is not an issue that causes USB/PCIe peripherals?

Hope to get your expertise help.

thanks in advance

• 10. Re: DX58SO Win 7 64-bit Drivers & Windows 10
                            mikec_intel

Hi anilnc,

In the case of Windows® 10, it is necessary to use generic drivers provided with Microsoft®, so the compatibility of external or internal devices with the board are not guarantee.

It will be necessary to give a try.

Regards,
                            Mike C