Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

i7-5930k compatibility question. please help :(

MBloo1
Novice

I am very new to building computers, i am currently acquiring the parts for a decent gaming rig. I chose an i7-5930k for the cpu. Under the specifications, it says that compatible memory is ddr4, 4 channel, up to 64gb, 1333/1600/2133. Does this mean i have to use sticks of ddr4 RAM that are at 1333/1600 or 2133mhz? for example, could i use 4x 8gb g.skill ripjaw V 3200mhz? thankyou in advance.

4 Replies
Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Martyn

As Al_Hill mentioned when building your new machine, it is pretty important to take into consideration the specifications of the processor and motherboard in order to decide which memory (RAM) is going to be used. It is not irrelevant to check which frequencies are supported by both motherboard and processor.

Regards,

Caesar B.

0 Kudos
MBloo1
Novice

The motherboard is absolutely compatible with both. I have searched for a cpu that supports 3200mhz RAM speed and i cannot for the life of me find one that does. I am puzzled as to why RAM would be sold in this configuration if there are no CPU's that support it. Is the compatible RAM speed something that can be changed in the bios along with the clock speed? If it is not possible to do that, is there a similar cpu that can support higher speeds?

I am clearly missing something here and i feel somewhat like a lost puppy at the moment. greatly appreciate the help.

AP16
Valued Contributor III

The motherboard is responsible for programming memory, setting frequency and voltage supply to it. It can set any value, but if they are beyond Intel CPU spec, there is no guarantees of work on such settings. Just like with CPU overclocking.

0 Kudos
MBloo1
Novice

ah fantastic, that makes a lot of sense thankyou. So ram that runs at thoase speeds is designed for people who want to overclock and tweak their settings. I suppose then, i should look for evidence of my cpu running at those settings. Thankyou very much sir.

0 Kudos