11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2015 6:14 PM by rborge

Bad video card or Intel MB not compatible

rborge

I bought my son an Asus GTX 980 video card (see MB and video card details below).  Currently, he is using a GTX560 card without issues.  Unfortunately, when the new card is installed, the MB won't post, nor will it enter the bios.  When I put the old card back in, everything is fine.  I uninstalled all Nvidia drivers and can run off of the integrated graphics just fine.  Put in the new card (tried both compatible slots)...no post.  I believe that the firmware is current, although with the GUI design of the bios, I had trouble confirming the bios build.  The motherboard was bought only a few months ago so I suspect that it was shipped with the latest bios although I could be wrong.  Trying to determine whether the video card is bad of simply incompatible with the MB.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thx  Rick

System setup:

Intel BLKDZ77GA70K LGA1155/ Intel Z77/ DDR3/ CrossFireX & SLI/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&2GbE/ ATX Motherboard

ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 STRIX DC2OC 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

• 1. Re: Bad video card or Intel MB not compatible
          paramountain

I have pulled a video card out of a PC and later re-inserted it, only to discover that it does not work. Then I reseated it and it worked. I'll bet yours isn't seated properly. Occasionally a card is manufactured improperly with the slot cover notch in the wrong place. Insert it without screwing it down, first all the way in, then with the left side ever so much out and then the right (don't move it with power on, of course). You may have a slight mismatch between the case, motherboard, and video card. I've seen it with USB 3.0 cards. I once used a Dremel tool on a slot cover to properly seat the card.

• 2. Re: Bad video card or Intel MB not compatible
            N.Scott.Pearson

Many of the emerging graphics cards have expectations regarding the features and capabilities of the motherboard that they are combined with. The older the motherboard, the more incompatible it can be with these emerging graphics cards. The two most common issues are PCI Express support level and BIOS support for UEFI-based operation. You may be able to get this card to work if you enable UEFI in BIOS Setup (you will need the older graphics card installed to make this change). Unfortunately, there are situations where even this change isn't enough and making this change usually requires that you reinstall the operating system.

I wish I had a better answer but this is a sad reality. Too many of the graphics card manufacturers are abandoning support for older BIOS implementations.

...S

• 3. Re: Bad video card or Intel MB not compatible
              paramountain

I just looked up his hardware. His video card is $450! Both are PCIe 3.0 x16 so one would hope that is not the problem. Video cards worry about UEFI? It is a strange world we live in.

• 4. Re: Bad video card or Intel MB not compatible
                rborge

Thanks for the prompt replies.  I will try the tips regarding seating the card.  Regarding the UEFI settings, I would hate to have to reinstall the OS since I'm using Intel SRT and getting Windows 10 on it was a pain.  Is there any way to see if the latest Bios supports this generation of video cards?

• 5. Re: Bad video card or Intel MB not compatible
                  rborge

"Tipping" the card did nothing.  No post.

• 6. Re: Bad video card or Intel MB not compatible
                    paramountain

There's a relatively easy way to test N.Scott.Pearson's UEFI theory, if you have a spare drive. Change the UEFI setting in BIOS as he suggested using the old video card. Shutdown and power off. Disconnect the current drive(s) and connect a spare, wiped one, even if old and slow. Remove the old video card and install the new one. If you see the BIOS screen, it looks like the UEFI theory is correct. Install Windows on the spare drive, skipping the activation code part. If you can get to the first screen where you login, you will have conclusively proved the UEFI theory correct.

• 7. Re: Bad video card or Intel MB not compatible
                      rborge

fabulous suggestion   I'll try it tomorrow    thx

• 8. Re: Bad video card or Intel MB not compatible
                        N.Scott.Pearson

Actually, you don't even need to touch your drives yet. With old card installed, simply go into BIOS Setup and enable UEFI. Save settings, power off and install new card. When you power up, if the video BIOS actually activates, you should see the splash screen and be able to enter BIOS setup...

...S

• 9. Re: Bad video card or Intel MB not compatible
                          rborge

Enabling UEFI did not solve the problem.  Still cannot enter Bios.  Attached is a picture listing the current bios...can anyone make sense of it?  Is this the latest Bios build?  ThxWP_20151025_001.jpg

• 10. Re: Bad video card or Intel MB not compatible
                            rborge

Nevermind.  Updating from bios version 0021 to 0066...duhhhhh

• 11. Re: Bad video card or Intel MB not compatible
                              rborge

Well, like most things in life, the simplest solution was correct.  My bios was way out of date.  Updated it and now everything works perfectly!  My son (16 years old) learned a ton...bios settings, bios flashing, UEFI, clearing CMOS, motherboard jumpers...so I think that the whole experience was worthwhile.  Currently, he is blown away by "50 fps with all settings maxed and hair works on"! (geek household ).  Thx for all of the input.  You guys were great.

Rick