4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2015 8:20 AM by Intel_Alvarado

TFT LCD pixel printing effect

cheyne

Hi,

I am working on printing some graphic to a TFT LCD pixel using 8 IO ports connecting to ST7789 LCD driver. The resolution of the LCD is 240x240. When I run my code to fill up the screen with a single color. It takes around 20s to fill up the whole 240x240 screen. Is this normal? If it is not, how can I increase the pixel printing speed?

• 1. Re: TFT LCD pixel printing effect
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

Unfortunately I haven’t tested this particular screen so I’m not sure how long it takes the screen to be filled with a single color. My guess is that 20s is a bit high, did you do any changes to the code, what code are you using? Can you test this TFT LCD in another board such as an Arduino UNO or similar?

Sergio

• 2. Re: TFT LCD pixel printing effect
            cheyne

I have tested the code with TI controller TM4C123G which is running at 80MHz. The time taken to fill up the screen is less than 5s. However when I port over the code to Edison, I did make changes in the driver code in order for it to work.

I am just wondering why Edison which is running at 500MHz is filling up the screen slower than a processor running 80MHz.

Btw, do you come across any TFT LCD driven by Edison? What is the time taken to fill up the screen? It is possible to complete in miliseconds?

• 3. Re: TFT LCD pixel printing effect
              Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

We will run some tests to see if we get the same results. If we do we’ll try to improve the speed at which the TFT LCD responds.

Sergio

• 4. Re: TFT LCD pixel printing effect
                Intel_Alvarado

Which communication are you using to interface with the TFT LCD driver? It could be that this is a limitation with the IO speed and not with the processor.

Sergio