5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 2:39 PM by postITnote

Compiling PD on Edison Issues

postITnote

I feel like I am really close to getting a .pd patch to work, but I'm not sure what is going wrong.

Here is where I am at:

- set sound card as default in ALSA and can successfully play sample sound files in /usr/share/sounds/alsa/ using "aplay"

- have downloaded Pure Data to root folder

- created sine.pd patch file, taken from the tutorial I link to below in the root dir

I'm fairly new to command line, so I've been looking around for PD and Edison tutorials and found this for the Galileo.

In the tutorial, under "Getting Packages", I have hooked up to Alex T's repo (thanks Alex!), however I was not able to install uclibc. Everything else I was able to install fine in the root dir.

Then, following the INSTALL.txt file in Pure Data, I used these commands:

./autogen.sh

./configure

With each return it goes into the directories and runs through, everything looks ok, but I'm not sure if I am missing a critical error buried somewhere.

When I run the last recommended command:

make

I get this at the bottom of the run:

Makefile:914: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed

make[1] *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory '/pure-data'

Makefile:813: recipe for target 'all' failed

make: *** [all] Error 2

I go to my root dir. and run the sine.pd patch:

pd -nogui -blocksize 1024 sine.pd

It opens (I assume) and prints:

print: turned dsp on.

The problem is that I do not hear anything when I plug headphones into the sound card, and have played samples and used timbre.js successfully before.

What I think it may be is that I am not installing Pure Data correctly. What does the Edison use to install applications?

Honestly I do not know how to tell if it is installing correctly while it is running through files, except for pulling out those two errors after the "make" command.

Any suggestions as to why this might not be working are appreciated. Thank you!