2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 5:31 AM by oja

SSD Samsung 840 EVO and NUC 2820: Cannot install windows to this drive

oja

Hi,

I have the following configuration:

SSD Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB and NUC 2820, 8 GB RAM

If I try to install windows 7 then I get the error message: cannot install windows to this drive.

What I have tried:

• UEFI and non UEFI
      • Upgraded Bios to latest version
      • Legacy on and off.
      • Test SSD in other computer: runs perfectly fine
      • install windows on "classic" HD in NUC: runs perfectly fine

Anyone has another idea?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: SSD Samsung 840 EVO and NUC 2820: Cannot install windows to this drive
          Cesar Badilla

Hello oja,

Could you please confirm the specific BIOS version you are currently running on the Intel®  NUC?

Latest BIOS version for Intel® NUC Kit DN2820FYKH is available here Download BIOS Update [FYBYT10H.86A] (0052).

Also please confirm the SATA mode is set to AHCI in BIOS of the Intel® NUC DN2820FYKH

Additionally, Have you tried different Installation Media?

Please ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the NUC's Menu.

I have heard some people had to completely re-format the drive out of the box and manually set partitions. This could be achieved on another computer or prior to Operating System installation.

Regards,

Caesar B.

• 2. Re: SSD Samsung 840 EVO and NUC 2820: Cannot install windows to this drive
            oja

Hi Cesar,

Following answers:

1. BIOS: FYBYT10H.86a.0051.2015.0624.1406. Will update to 0052. I updated last week, but now see that this week there is a new version
            2. AHCI enabled
            3. The NUC can only install from USB. It doesn't have an CD/DVD
            4. The OS has installed properly on a classic Toshiba HD on the NUC.
            5. Haven’t seen any option to enable he disk’s controller. Which menu is that in the BIOS? I presume it's enabled otherwise it would start with a classic HD.

I now copied the working classic HD  to the SSD. After an initial boot faillure  I used the install disk to correct the boot reord. Then it started from the SSD. After booting it installed some drivers, a.o. "Samsung SSD 840 ATA Device: Finished, restart required.

After restart it works correctly now.

Thanks.

Keep you posted.