Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

Xeon has S-Spec SR1XH on Lid, CPUZ Reads it as Engineering Sample?

SViks
Beginner

I recently purchased two Xeon SR1XH (E2683 Haswell-E) chips off Ebay, with the seller stating they are brand-new out of the OEM tray. Sure enough, the chips have production S-Spec numbers on the lids (as my attached photo shows). However, when I open CPUZ to get information, it shows them as Genuine Intel Engineering Sample.

I'm going to file a charge-back with my CC company, and really need to know if this is some fluke on Intel's part, or if these chips are in fact ES chips that have been counterfeited to look like production chips.

Here is the photo of the chips, the CPUZ, HWINFO64, the Intel Processor Identifier, and the CPUZ readout in .txt format.

The CPUZ info for the chip below is exactly the same as the one I received (notice how the lid has a Q S-Spec number and is labeled "Intel Confidential" to indicate it's an Engineering Sample):

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Part of the information on the processor heat spreader is not correct and our system cannot validate it. It does not appear to be ES.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I would return them to the seller and get the money back. We only recommend buying Intel products from reputable http://locate.intel.com/ Intel authorized sellers.

SViks
Beginner

That is indeed the course of action, however the seller refuses to accept a return on the grounds of "not as described" or "counterfeit". It'd really help my dispute if I could get confirmation from Intel whether or not these are indeed counterfeit/doctored, or if they are actually SR1XH chips that are being incorrectly read as ES (in which case then I wouldn't have justification for a return).

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

This processor is tray (OEM) only, it cannot be replaced as if it were retail boxed counterpart, even if it is not ES. The warranty would have come from the OEM of the whole system. Still, you can post a clear picture of the markings or send them to me via PM and I will see what I can find, the picture above is hard to read.

http://ark.intel.com/products/81055/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2683-v3-35M-Cache-2_00-GHz# @ordering http://ark.intel.com/products/81055/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2683-v3-35M-Cache-2_00-GHz# @ordering

0 Kudos
SViks
Beginner

I cannot seem to attach images to a post using my mobile browser, so I hope that a URL to the image will suffice: http://i.imgur.com/9krnX9h.jpg http://i.imgur.com/9krnX9h.jpg

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Part of the information on the processor heat spreader is not correct and our system cannot validate it. It does not appear to be ES.

SViks
Beginner

Ah, I feared as much. Thank you very much for your assistance in this matter; this should allow me to file a dispute with my card company and recover the money spent.

I'll be sure to purchase only from authorized venders in the future : ).

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hello Synnove,

I would defer a little bit with Joe's comments here but we already clarify this internally and I have to apologize for any inconvenience not only with your purchase but also with any information we provided before.

We did a further checking on the CPU markings: ATPO 2L323137G0376 and FPO 3324B419 and they properly correlate to each other and it is in fact an ES unit as marked on the heat spreader.

Having that said, markings on the unit look valid to me, what really concerns me is the fact that this unit is an ES (Engineering Sample).

These processors often include additional features that production processors do not include for customer pre-production evaluation and test purposes. The following conditions apply to Intel ES Processors:

•Intel ES Processors are the sole property of Intel.

•Intel ES Processors are Intel Confidential.

•Intel ES Processors are provided by Intel under nondisclosure and/or special loan agreement terms with restrictions on the recipient's handling and use.

•Intel ES Processors are not for sale or re-sale.

•Intel ES Processors may not have passed commercial regulatory requirements.

•ES Processors are not covered under Intel warranty and are generally not supported by Intel

You can also find this information documented here: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030747.htm Processors — Information About Intel Engineering/Qualification Sample Processors

I hope this helps,

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

My response was based on the markings from this picture http://i.imgur.com/9krnX9h.jpg http://i.imgur.com/9krnX9h.jpg provided by Synnove at post # 4.

0 Kudos
DKnes
Beginner

I also have 2 of these chips that have the S-spec SR1XH on the heat spreader but CPU-Z identifies them as ES CPUs. Would like me to post pictures of them so you can check the info stamped on the heat spreaders?

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, All:

If you encounter with the scenario, the recommendation would be to contact us via phone, chat or email, to get this verified.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support

This is for security reasons and it would be an expedited support form.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
DOsma
Beginner

(FPO) 3421B618

I have the same Problem, i got a E5-2683 V3 with SR1XH S-Spec on the metal lid. On CPUz it shows as Eng.Sample

I would like to know if my CPU is also an Eng.Sample

0 Kudos
JRufi
Beginner

Why there are a lot of people in ebay blatantly selling ES CPU? What is Intel doing about it? Most of the CPU I think came from China, do they have a special tool to change the marking on the CPU (change it to SR1XH) or change the whole heat sink cover??

I also bought a E5-2683v3 CPU from ebay, it is SR1XH marking but when I received it and tested, it is same as above.. shown as ES in CPU-Z and in HWinfo64 it is reported as CPU QDF - QFQK/QGN5. Also this ES CPU I received, when tested I cannot attain max speed of 3GHZ (it is stuck to maximum 2.5GHZ and I cannot enable XMP on my RAM at bios, so RAM is stuck at 2133MHz even though it is rated 3200MHz).

Can we return this CPU to the seller? Or send to Intel for replacement (I wish!!) ??

I'm worried if I return it to the seller (assuming ebay resolution outcome will refund by money), the seller will sell it again in ebay!!

If ebay refunded my money should I return the CPU to this con-artist seller in ebay?

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello:

Intel does take actions on this scenarios, the process would be to report the issue to us and then Intel will be sending this matter to the legal department to check information provided by you to find out who could have sold you the ES.

I just sent you a PM regarding this, please check you inbox.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
DOsma
Beginner

How does this works ? Does Intel give me a replacement, when i report ?

i hope i get my money back from ebay by returnig back to the seller as item not as described.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Drilon Osmanaj:

In this case, the way to go would be to let the place of purchase know about this situation (ebay in this case) so you can request a refund for this.

This is a fraud unfortunately so my recommendation above would be the way to go, for some additional information for you to have is that Intel is constantly checking websites like this to find possible people selling these products in order to stop this scenario; however, due to the amount of publications it is difficult to catch them all.

After getting the information requested we will be sending the report to take action on this matter/case.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
JRufi
Beginner

Hi Esteban,

I sent a couple of PM to you, have you seen them?

By the way, the actual CPU I got the FPO number marking when I entered in Intel Warranty check tool, came out as i7-4790. How is that possible? CPU-Z and HWinfo64 reported it as e5-2683v3 ES and HW monitor confirmed it got 14 cores 28 threads, so it is not i7-4790. Did some Chinese supplier intentionally changed the marking on the CPU? They are laser etched, right? It can be easily changed?

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

I just answered to your PM, my apologies for the delay.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
RLars5
Beginner

I also just got one. From all appearances it looks like a genuine retail (or boxed) production processor. No indication of confidential or anything unusual and it had a proper and correct stepping code and all so I bought it to add as a second CPU in a Dell Precision T7910 pro workstation. Got the CPU in and then got a second OEM Dell heat sink and installed them. Booted up and the system flat out does not even see the second processor. So I updated the BIOS, and tried a few other things and it simply was not even showing up in BIOS. So I pulled the one that came with the machine and installed this new one in the first socket leaving out the original one. The system did then see it but BIOS did not show it as a "Intel Xeon E5-2643 V3" it instead showed it as "Genuine Intel CPU".

The faked one according to the BIOS

Genuine Intel CPU @ 3.30 Ghz

6 cores

ID 306F1

The real one that came with this system shows

Intel Xeon CPU E-2643 V3 @3.4 Ghz

6 cores

ID 306F2

Also the fake one only shows 15MB of cache instead of 20MB

So I went ahead and booted the system with the fake CPU and ran the two Intel Processor ID and Diagnostic utilities. The Diagnostic fails the CPU almost immediately and the ID tool also stops pretty quick with both indicating that the CPU is not a production CPU. So I've pulled it back out, also took good photos of both the real one and the fake one. One thing I did notice is the laser etched markings are setup a bit different. Different countries are listed as well. The real one is on the left, the fake is on the right. Looking at the photos it also now appears are though the fake may have had the heat spreader sanded down and then remarked. I did also notice that the real one did take significantly more pressure on the socket clamps to lock it in compared to the fake.

I'm not terribly worried - I bought it on eBay from a US individual and I have buyer protection as well as I funded the purchase on a credit card so worst case I can dispute the charge. I'll get my money back regardless but I'd rather have a proper processor so if Intel is interested in acquiring this fake remarked one then please contact me asap so we can work it out. I'd be happy to provide all of the information from the purchase and all. I'd be happy to trade this one with Intel for a real one but they might not really care.

Edit to add.... on the first page Esteban mentioned to call or contact the support chat. Tried the chat. lol - that was a total waste of time. I dont think anyone there on the chat thing really cares or has any clue. I'm just going to return it for a refund. I dont have time to help Intel better learn how and where these engineering samples are getting into the hands of people who are remarking them.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I had same problem with 2683v3 i've bought it on german ebay - it's fake... user 7184sven ...

Someone has changed some of the markings to make it appear that it is an SR1XH when it is not. I've got clear answer from Intel.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hey, peers:

Sorry for the delayed answer!

In this case, you can provide us with a call or email and then advise us you received an ES from an individual reseller and you would like to report it.

Information to be given to our support center:

Name of the reseller, where it was purchased. (this is to get it reported to our legal department)

You can certainly request a refund from the place of purchase if that can be done.

After doing this, we can send to you a "receive only" ticket, so you can send the unit to an Intel depot, then they will take care of the unit.

The contact information for all our support GEOs:

North America: Phone Number: 1-916-377-7000

Business Hours:

Monday - Friday

7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time)

EMEA contact information: http://intel.ly/28QeAF3

APAC contact information: http://intel.ly/1ITfjUF

LAR contact information: http://intel.ly/29c0rW4

Hope you can give us a call so this can be reported, Intel is actively seeking for situations like this to get it reported and proceed accordingly.

Again, many thanks for the interest to report this matter.

Regards,

Esteban C.

0 Kudos