4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 5:03 PM by damonkey51

Create a Home IOT Hub Form-factor?

damonkey51

With IOT starting to grow, we are seeing various attempts to be early centers for managing IOT in the home, like Google Nest, Amazon Alexa and others.  All of these are creative solutions and show a need to manage IOT, and that there is a market to do so.  But, none feel like industry standards as of yet.

Question:  Should Intel develop an industry form-factor for the Home IOT Hub like it has going back to Pentium motherboards and more recent Ultrabooks?

I recommend a Yes.  Brainstorming, my vision would be:

> Central hub PC/server for home, always on, does calculations for low-level IOT devices

> Central communication port, switch, etc

- it has the only external internet connection

- it is the hub for connecting within the home - multiple ethernet ports, wifi, ability to add powerline connection, etc as needed by consumer

> battery backup for reasonable power downtime

> robust security to test for weak spots, and ensure only approved communications take place

- consider VPN by default

- consider encryption by default

> optimized power profile, ideally fanless so this can go in a closet

> managed remotely from within the hub

> expandable storage to work as a home cloud, accessible remotely for approved users from anywhere

> similar or identical device could be sold for small businesses

> ....add to list/comment...

• 1. Re: Create a Home IOT Hub Form-factor?
          JFFulcrum

There are a lot of WiFi NGE routers concepts and models, which have approx. all you listed, and near-field wireless power distribution will make the rest.

• 2. Re: Create a Home IOT Hub Form-factor?
            damonkey51

Thanks Jeff.  I was not aware these devices gained most of these features.  But, it sounds like its still a mini engineering exercise to pull together, not standardized, probably low to null on security needing an IT expert to operate, and quite frankly something that is way too complicated to explain to my 75 old father even though he has expressed in layman's terms that he wants this.

If IOT is a huge future market, why would Intel not want to lead this, be first to market with a clear product vision?

- Practically every household will buy one over next 20 years.  That is, estimating, 50+ million devices in US alone, potential for an Intel Chip Inside each one.

- Saying "no" means a Cisco, Apple, Google, Amazon, Microsoft or other will do this and probably use a proprietary or ARM chip.

Your response seemed dismissive of the suggestion - ambiguous at best.  To me this says it should at least get an ROI + pro/con + market risk for the do nothing option before it is dismissed.

• 3. Re: Create a Home IOT Hub Form-factor?
              JFFulcrum

Well, yes, dismissive, cause each time someone tryin to create 'one ring to rule them all', it do not reach its target. First of all, we all have different demands, for someone the 64GB NAS is enough, other need a TB-scale storage, some still have a DSL connections, while other have two gigabit-speed connections from different operators. Unlikely such unified device will suite all tasks. We have a multicore chips in near-credit-card format, i think that IOT end-device-modules will be smart enough to deal with them by self, without dedicated 'controllers'. TVs already.

• 4. Re: Create a Home IOT Hub Form-factor?
                damonkey51

Agreed for smart IOT devices.  Last comment: we are on different pages, my understanding is the vast majority of IOT opportunities will be infrequent, low bandwidth communications, and need to be low power and cheap, leveraging centralized processing.  Thx, over and out.