Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel Display Audio and Hyper-V

EGome3
Beginner

A week ago I setup a new machine with a Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 motherboard and a Intel i5-4590 processor running Windows 10 Pro. I have all of the latest Intel drivers for video and the hdmi audio driver. I use the machine for a media server connected to my Samsung TV via HDMI. I had been having trouble with the Audio not working over HDMI. I had uninstalled and reinstalled the video/hdmi drivers many times with no change. I have a spare Nvidia graphics card that has HDMI audio that I tried and this card and the audio works fine. After some research and trial and error I uninstalled Hyper-V and the Intel HDMI audio worked fine after that. Are there any beta intel Display/Audio drives to try to see if they will work in Hyper-V on Windows 10? And just to confirm I had tried the latest driver from Intel as well as the motherboard manufacture. I had even tried an older Intel HDMI audio driver but that did not change the results when Hyper-V was installed.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello gomer240,

I´m going to research this case, as soon as I have an answer I will update this thread.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
EGome3
Beginner

Just wanted to check in to see if there were any updates to this issue? Or any new or beta Intel HDMI Audio drivers I could try?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Please try with the following versions;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25541/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

If the issue persists we will continue from here.

Regards.

0 Kudos
EGome3
Beginner

Thank you for the reply. I did find those drivers yesterday and tried each one. I tried the latest stable version first and unfortunately no change with Hyper V installed.. I uninstalled those drivers and installed the Beta driver. I did notice with the Beta driver the HDMI audio drive was updated but again the HDMI sound did not work when Hyper V was installed. As soon as I uninstalled Hyper V the HDMI sound was restored (with both drivers in your post). Let me know if there is anything I can look at.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Let me run some tests with these new drivers to see if I can replicate this issue.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

I researched this case and found that Hyper-V does not provide a virtual audio. If you want audio, you need to use RDP to get the virtual audio support working.

For further reference;

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/026d5f32-1fa5-479c-9345-bdd69448cfdd/adding-sound-device-in-hyperv adding sound device in hyper-v

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/985f1225-ec20-4e1b-921a-978d212196b3/3rd-party-audiosound-driver?forum=winserverhyperv 3rd Party Audio/Sound driver

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/9ebcb509-58ca-49fc-94ac-a8e08a2278ac/audio-output-in-vms?forum=winserverhyperv Audio Output in VMs?

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards.

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Amy_Intel He like not tried to get audio inside VM, his audio stops working just from presence of hypervisor in system.

0 Kudos
EGome3
Beginner

Hello Amy, yes the above poster is correct. My issue is not Audio inside a VM. It is when I have Hyper V installed on my machine, HDMI audio does not work for anything I.E. windows sounds, playing music with windows media player or movies with any player. Once I remove Hyper V from my system HDMI audio works flawlessly. I have tried 2 different TV/monitors so I know that is not the issue. I have tried 2 different motherboards, and the same issue occurs. Let me know if I can provide any more details for testing. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the clarification.

Yes, please if you can provide more details that would help to narrow the issue since I ran some tests but the HDMI audio worked fine.

• Have you tried with different HDMI cable?
  • Have you tried with high quality HDMI cable?
  • Does the issue only happen with the HDMI connection?

• How did you install Hyper-V?
  • How did you create the virtual machine?
  • What operating system are you running on the virtual machine?

If you can attach pictures, videos or any information of how to replicate this issue I would appreciate.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
EGome3
Beginner
1) I have tried with 3 different HDMI Cables (different brands)

2) yes I have tried higher end HDMI cables as well3) Yes this is related to the HDMI audio associated with the Intel graphics driver (does not happen with motherboard sound card, realtek)4) Hyper V is installed via Programs and Features in the Control Panel5) I didn't not create any VMs yet, just having Hyper V installed caused the audio issue.6) see 5 answer.

For me to recreate the issue, I have my PC connected to the my TV with a HDMI cable, video works fine and audio will be work fine (I.E. audio works when playing a movie or music). I will then installed Hyper V through Programs and Features (only available on Windows Pro edition). After the install of Hyper V I will restart the machine. After the machine as rebooted, if I go to play a video or music there will be no audio. If I uninstall Hyper V and reboot. The audio will work fine after the restart.

I had gone as far as installing a Nvidia graphics card with HDMI audio, then repeating the above steps and the audio will continue to work after installing Hyper V. The symptoms have only occurred when trying to use HDMI audio, over the Intel driver with Hyper V installed. And again to clarify, this is on Windows 10 Pro.

Thank you for your responses.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Thank you for answering my questions.

I ran some tests and this is what happened; on my very first test, I installed Hyper-V like you mentioned on a Intel® Core™ i5-4670K Processor and everything worked fine, I was able to get audio through HDMI with Hyper-V on and off. Then I followed the same procedure but this time with a Intel® Core™ i5-4430 Processor and the behavior began, with Hyper-V installed there was no audio and as soon as I uninstalled Hyper-V and reboot the system I was able to get audio through HDMI. (Note that both processors are Haswell).

Under these results I made some research and found the following;

See here the comparison http://ark.intel.com/compare/75048,80815,75036 ARK | Compare Intel® Products.

On the picture you can see, three processors, two of them used in the test and your processor, notice that the ¨K¨ processor, does not support Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d), this is something quite important to mention since this missing feature is allowing the HDMI audio pass through, there must be some kind interaction between these processors(i5-4590 and i5-4430) and this feature the Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) that Hyper-V that is not providing HDMI audio. From our end there is no information available about this possible interaction and since Hyper-V is feature provided by Microsoft, I would recommend to get in contact with them about this matter.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
EGome3
Beginner

Amy, thank you for doing that testing I do appreciate it. I had actually started a forum Post on the Microsoft Technet site at the same time as this one but this has been way more responsive. I will comment back on the other Forum and get the ball moving with them again.

Thank you again,

Eric

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Eric, you´re welcome. Keep me posted in case you get more information about this behavior.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
GSchn5
Beginner

Hello,

i got the same error with my Intel NUC Kit D54250WYK.

I use Windows 10 Pro and have installed Visual Studio 2015 .

After this i have no sound anymore. I'm using a monitor with integrated speakers.

As i can see the processor supports the Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) feature.

http://ark.intel.com/de/products/75028/Intel-Core-i5-4250U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_60-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-4250U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.60 GHz) Spezifikationen

It is also activated in the BIOS settings and i'm using the latest stable drivers.

Only removing of Hyper-V brings the sound back.

Please can you help me with this problem?

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Kratos,

Please refer to post # 11, this an expected behavior, my recommendation is to contact Microsoft in order to get more information about this matter.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Amy,

You indicate that the root cause is related to the CPU not supporting Directed I/O (VT-d) which is very much not the case for the NUC D54250WYK (which I am using and experience the same problem as well). You are misdirecting people on this issue when you say that it is "expected behavior". Nothing could be further from the truth especially since there was no problem with Hyper-V and HDMI Audio in earlier windows and driver version releases.

The OP tated that his PC was using a Gigabyte motherboard with an i5-4590; that CPU completely supports Directed I/O (see: http://ark.intel.com/products/80815/Intel-Core-i5-4590-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-4590 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz) Specifications). Also, another poster (Kratos) indicated he was seeing the same issue on the same NUC I have using the i5-4250U CPU which clearly supports Directed I/O also as stated here: http://ark.intel.com/products/75028/Intel-Core-i5-4250U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_60-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-4250U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.60 GHz) Specifications . Frankly, whether a CPU has or lacks Directed I/O CPU is clearly not the issue here.

My D54250WYK NUC worked completely fine with Hyper-V and HDMI audio on Windows 8.1 and earlier. It only stopped working when the NUC was upgraded to windows 10 along with Intel-provided windows 10 graphics drivers. If you want to defer to Microsoft and say it's a problem with Hyper-V in Windows 10, that's fine but please provide the link stating it's a known issue from them because I can't find such a thing. Until then I'm going to assume that Intel drivers are playing some part in the problem. Intel and Microsoft are first tier OEM partners and this issue is reflecting terribly on you both (especially Intel in my eyes because of how long it has gone on without an appropriate response or resolution). Please do some actual testing with engineers and provide relevant feedback and resolution, not the canned replies or misdirection I have seen so far.

Thank you in advance for you support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

FYI,

I have opened a support request case with Intel on this issue as directed by the Intel Twitter team (@IntelSupport). Case number is 00227472 and they have indicated they are performing testing related to this issue.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, HazarJast:

Please stay with the other thread .

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
EGome3
Beginner

@Hazerjast, Let me know what you find out with the case. Thank you for your update.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

gomer240, I will post any updates here as requested by Amy: marszi has posted a viable workaround for now in the form of deactivating the VT-d feature in the visual BIOS (UEFI). As I mentioned before VT-d is fully supported by the D54250WYK CPU and Chipset but it appears there is a bug with it that is currently only affecting Windows 10 when Client Hyper-V is enabled. VT-d allows direct access to a PCI device for a guest VM which cuts down on emulation overhead of virtual PCI devices (typically used for direct access to a NIC). My educated guess is that there is a bug somewhere between the new hypervisor for Client Hyper-V in Windows 10 and the Intel display and/or chipset drivers.

The issue could be something on the host OS/hypervisor side of Windows 10 but I have called Microsoft to get a case opened with them and had 3 different reps tell me that they do not offer any support of Client Hyper-V and that I would need to call enterprise level support with my credit card number to pay them to troubleshoot. Yeah, no thanks I'm not paying them to fix their own issues. At this point I'll just use the workaround of disabling VT-d in the UEFI and wait around to see if any new updates from MS or Intel explicitly address the issue.

0 Kudos