Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20633 Discussions

Updating HD 4500 Driver result in black screen

YSui
Beginner

I was updating Intel HD 4500 graphics card on my laptop running Windows 10, using 3rd party software. At half way my screen blacked out, and lit up again after switching it on and off (integrated function of my computer). But the whole screen turned red, looks like the green and blue channel had been shut off. Then I uninstalled the card driver but failed to replace it with a previous one (because rolling back cannot be selected).

After the first reboot, it started up normally without any problem and the display restored. But after the second reboot, nothing appeared after the BIOS screen, except for the mouse pointer. I tried several times and it persists.

Then I opened up Recovery Environment by force shutting off computer several times. I didn't have any system checkpoints, nor recovery images. I could use the command prompt mode and no file system damage has been detected. Safe mode cannot be booted up either - whenever I select the safe mode and reboot, it's black screen.

There is another option in Recovery Environment that switches to low display definition and then startup. It also didn't make any sense to me. I knew that Windows 7 and earlier versions are capable of loading the "latest correct configuration" at the Safe Mode menu, but I couldn't find it in Windows 10.

I think the hardware aren't being damaged because Windows Recovery Environment and command prompt environment all have correct color and perfect definition, and the screen worked very well after the first reboot. So do I have any chances to fix it without having to reinstall Windows? I've also found an option in Recovery which resets the computer but keeping all "personal files". Does these "files" include Desktop, my User Folder, and Program Files folder?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YSui
Beginner

Could someone from Intel help me?

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello SectorSeven,

According to issue mentioned it seems that operating system is corrupted, it would be necessary to reinstall or repair your computer, please refer to the following link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options Recovery options in Windows 10 - Windows Help.

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
YSui
Beginner

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I've created a new partition and installed a brand-new Windows 10 copy, then created a system checkpoint. After that I attempted to update the graphics driver again, using the updater provided by my laptop manufacturer.

Upon completion the updater requested me to reboot. After rebooting the screen turned black just like what I have described previously. Fortunately I've set the checkpoint so I was able to rollback my system without having to reinstall. Should this be a defect in my hardware, or just a compatibility issue?

P.S.: The reason for updating the driver is that, I couldn't switch the screen resolution to a higher level matching the display definition, and most programs have "magnified", blur content within their windows. System applications such as Explorer or Control Panel worked well with clear contents. The above problem occurred both in my pre-installed Windows 10 and newly installed one. I'm not sure if updating the driver would resolve this problem.

I know it's weird, but it's just terrible to use a computer with blurred contents. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Could you please let us know the computer model, CPU model and the driver you're trying to install?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
YSui
Beginner

Apologize for the delay,

The computer model is SAMSUNG 910S3K, CPU model is i5-5200U, and the GPU driver version is 10.18.15.4278.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Before you try to reinstall the operating system please give it a try with the previous driver version, make sure to completely uninstall the current version and then go ahead and install the previous version.

Here you can find the previous driver versions for your graphics controller; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86210 Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 5500 for 5th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors.

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos