Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Intel HD 530 on skylake and Discrete video card

kkawa21
Beginner

Greetings...

Im sure this question has been already ask however not for this new chip.... So I own the new i5 Skylake , 16 gb ram, ASUS DELUXE z170 ,Nvidia GTX 760, Win 10...

I wasl told the intel chips were available to provide a FPS boost when working with a discrete video card.... Is this true??? if so How can I activate this option? my mobo has the option on video settings for primary to be set to : AUTO, IGFX, PEG, and PCIE. I have it on PCIE even though I see a virtual monitor from the intel hd card..

I also heard this was going to be true for sure with directx 12..... what do you know?

if not.... so should I disable the video on the chip since Im not getting any benefit? HDMI port on the mobo does not provide video unless I use the IGFX option as my primary.

Thanks guys.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

If you are using an external video card such Nvidia GTX760, it will disable the onboard graphics for your skylake processor. You could use onboard graphics and external video only if your motherboard BIOS allows both graphics cards at same time.

DirectX 12 is supported on Intel® HD Graphics 530

http://ark.intel.com/products/88959/Intel-Core-i5-6300HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-6300HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz) Specifications

Allan.

0 Kudos
JMoor21
Beginner

It works great so far for me with an Intel Skylake 6700k, Asus Z170-A, and an Nvidia 680 GTX. I had to boot with IGFX as default but after then I was able to drive a 4k monitor at 60hz and a secondary 1080 at 60hz off of the Nvidia (possibly another 4k at 60hz off of the Nvidia without the 1080p but I have not tested that yet). This is on Windows 10.

0 Kudos
PLust3
Beginner

I have also a Skylake 6700k and Asus Z170-A with an Nvidia GTX980ti in use. Though running two monitors with 4k/60hz off the Nvidia, it mere power-usage ramps up to about 80 Watts sitting idle on desktop (Win10). This will be problem when you run into the power-target limit of Nvidia, when wanting maximum processing power for just one 3D-application. Its performance drop when using i.e. two 1080p monitors is negligible though, maybe 1-2% only.

Therefore I've hooked up the secondary 4k-display on the IGFX, but for the 60hz option, I needed to make it the primary adapter in BIOS (Auto, PEG, PCIE, IGFX).

So in this case running two discrete cards, is not only a winner performance-wise, it reduces the comsumption of the whole system by about 50 watts.

0 Kudos
ASess
Beginner

Hi all, i described my problem here

I can extend my desktop but when i try to use my favourite game it crash at startup. If i disconnect the monitor from hd530 it run well.

0 Kudos