5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 8:27 PM by calmeetchum

Can not select SATA port to boot from in BIOS on D975XBX2 mobo

calmeetchum

Bios on a D975XBX2 mobo is not allowing me to select what SATA port (SATA0, SATA1, etc) that I wish to boot from, i.e what hard drive boot order. I'm attempting to use BIOS to control boot order when using two hard drives with different OS's on them...Debian Sarge and Windows XP. Usually BIOS will have a SATA Ports Definition that allows one to do this, and I have updated the  BIOS with latest version, and there still is no option for this. Is there anyway to do this?

• 1. Re: Can not select SATA port to boot from in BIOS on D975XBX2 mobo
          turtle

Are these OS's on different physical disks?

If so, you can select the boot order in the boot menu. It will not let you specify which SATA port, but which HD instead. This should work for your purpose.

If the OS's are on the same physical disk, then the boot manager will let you select which OS to boot, every time you start up the machine, given the installation of the dual boot was done correctly.

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: Can not select SATA port to boot from in BIOS on D975XBX2 mobo
            calmeetchum

Yes, I have two SATA drives installed, one on SATA Port 0 and one on SATA Port 1. (there are 4 normal SATA ports on this board which are black, the others are for the SATA RAID, the blue ports) I have tried all combinations of hard drive boot order I can in BIOS. I have tried different drives (one Maxtor, one Seagate) to make sure I could tell a difference in drive description, and anyway I change boot order, the first port, SATA Port 0, is the one that it boots from, regardless of any settings. I can change the boot order only by physically changing the SATA cables around, i.e. reverse the cables, Hard Drive #1 gets plugged into SATA Port 1 and Hard Drive #2 plugged into SATA Port 0, then it will boot up Hard Drive #2. I don't want to have to physicaly change the connections when this should be able to be done in BIOS.

I've done this procedure on MSI boards, you just change the port definition, i.e boot from P0-1st and P1-2nd you would change it to P1-1st and P0-2nd. I don't see this function on the D975XBX2 BIOS.

Hope that makes my problem clear. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Can not select SATA port to boot from in BIOS on D975XBX2 mobo
              Nico

you have to solve it with what you have, there won't be any bios updates. sorry

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can not select SATA port to boot from in BIOS on D975XBX2 mobo
                calmeetchum

Yes, I was reading the Intel BIOS manual, and there seems to be alot of missing items in the BIOS I have on my D975XBX2 boards.

(it does have the disclaimer that your BIOS may differ....)

Anyway, thanks for the help/ input.

• 5. Re: Can not select SATA port to boot from in BIOS on D975XBX2 mobo
                  calmeetchum

For what's it worth, FYI:

There is no issue with the BIOS, it turns out my Linux distro (Debian Sarge) is a "No RAID" template that I use, and the drives create the problem with this particular motherboard. Other OS's on the different SATA ports have no problem with using BIOS to switch boot order.

I used to use a RAID version of this distro and my software guy made it No RAID recently, and I run the other SATA drive as a simple back up (basically it's cloned). Maybe my software guy can fix this...but in the mean time, there isn't a problem with the BIOS.