1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 15, 2015 1:01 AM by Cesar Badilla

NUC5i3MYHE, linux, gpio/pwm -- is it possible?

AlexeiVM

Motherboard has Custom Solution Header with pwm/gpio pins. But what about "drivers" for linux? Is there any chance to access that pins with latest (4.2) linux kernel? MRAA library can handle i2c mode but not GPIO.

• 1. Re: NUC5i3MYHE, linux, gpio/pwm -- is it possible?
          Cesar Badilla

Hello AlexeiVM,

The answer for your inquiry is Yes.  Gpio is the General Purpose IO interface to libmraa. Its features depend on the board type used, it can use gpiolibs (exported via a kernel module through sysfs), or memory mapped I/O via a /dev/uio device or /dev/mem depending again on the board configuration.

According to Intel® NUC5i3MYHE, Technical Product Specification: Maximum and Minimum Inverter Current Limit (%): allows the system integrator to set maximum PWM%, as appropriate, according to the power requirements of the internal flat panel display and the selected inverter board. However, in order to enable alternate GPIO functions, GPIO Lockdown must first be disabled in the system BIOS of the  Intel® NUC5i3MYHE.

Please refer to mraa/intel_nuc5.md at master · intel-iot-devkit/mraa · GitHub for more information.* they state:

"Pinmuxing on the 5th generation Intel NUCs is done in the BIOS. This is only tested on bios 0024+ (MYBDWi5v.86A). By default the custom solution header is disabled, currently in Linux (as of 4.2). Both i2c buses are currently supported.

The NUCs supported are the NUC5i5MYBE & NUC5i3MYBE which also come as the NUC5i5MYHE and NUC5i3MYHE motherboards. It's possible that others expose the IO in a very similar way so could be supported, get in touch if you have one!

In the BIOS you are required to enable the following: Devices -> Onboard Devices - GPIO Lockdown Select I2c under GPIO for the 12/13 14/15 pins*"

You could get relevant information here intel-iot-devkit/mraa · GitHub

Regards,

Caesar B.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.