3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2015 11:11 AM by ivanu_intel

Why does my i5 5250 not hit turbo speed of 2.7ghz ????

coblck

Hi there proud owner of my new nuc 5i5ryk but have ran into a few problems, firstly the processor i5250 wont hit its max turbo clock speed of 2.7ghz only manages to get to 2.5, also it constantly sits at between 2.4 and 2.5 not lowering to 1.6ghz at all, if i go into bios it says max speed is only 2.5ghz. i have also unchecked  max performance in bios to see if it would activate intel speed step but it stays the same. I have updated to the latest version of bios but still the same .

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

• 1. Re: Why does my i5 5250 not hit turbo speed of 2.7ghz ????
          ivanu_intel

Hello coblck,

The Turbo Boost feature was designed by Intel to be used all the time. Whether your CPU is running a single threaded application or your CPU is running fully loaded, an Intel® Core™ i5-5250U Processor will be using as much Turbo Boost as possible. If the CPU exceeds the TDP limit, the amount of Turbo Boost is reduced but it is still using as much Turbo Boost as possible.

The Turbo Boost is set up automatically in your system and the behavior you’re seeing there it is totally normal, the Turbo Boost will stay at the range of 1.6 GHz and 2.7 GHz.

Due to varying power characteristics, some parts with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 may not achieve maximum turbo frequencies when running heavy workloads and using multiple cores concurrently.

You can also run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

The purpose of the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool is to verify the functionality of an Intel® processor. The diagnostic checks for brand identification, verifies the processor operating frequency, tests specific processor features and performs a stress test on the processor.

• 2. Re: Why does my i5 5250 not hit turbo speed of 2.7ghz ????
            coblck

Thanks for your reply, my system never goes below 2.4ghz ever even when system is idle.

• 3. Re: Why does my i5 5250 not hit turbo speed of 2.7ghz ????
              ivanu_intel

Could you please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool? You can download it from the link provided above.

Once you run it, please reply with the result, at the top of the Window is a Menu Bar. The File Menu allows you to open the TestResults.txt file using Notepad, and allows you to exit IPDT. See below

Capture.PNG

I will apreciate if you could attach the results on this thread.

Thank you!