Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Can't install Win 10 driver for Centrino 2230

PMoor2
Beginner

I'm operating a Centrino 2230 Wireless adapter in a Dell 5520 laptop running Windows 10. With driver 15.8.10, I lose wi-fi any time I attempt to download anything (like bring up google).

I downloaded wireless_18.20.0_De164 and attempted to install it. Try as I might, I cannot budge the existing driver to uninstall. Repeated attempts leave the driver at 15.8.10 dated 4/30/2015. I downloaded the Intel Driver install utility and scanned my computer. It successfully identified my 2230, and proceeded to download the same driver package, with a description that it was for Windows 10. I then clicked install, and it Failed. Multiple times.

I deleted the driver in the Device Manager window, and then deleted the driver files in the Control Panel/Uninstall window. I reran the Intel utility, and it Failed. Again. Somehow, the system reinstalled 15.8.10.

Since I upgraded the operating system over a month ago, I cannot back out to Windows 7 (which worked fine with the 2230).

I called Dell, and they are not certifying the Dell 5520 laptop for Windows 10. They told me I could pay them (Dell) $119 for a Windows 7 operating system disk (the laptop's out of warranty).

I looked at downloading a Win 7 ISO file from Windows, but my product ID is for a Dell version of Win 7, so Microsoft referred me to Dell.

I called Windows support, and they said I should just wait until they get around to building a driver for the 2230. Since Intel says there already is one, what I need is some way to uninstall the driver I have (really uninstall it), and install the recommended driver.

Please help.

Pat in Juneau, AK

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello PatAL7L,

The Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 is supported with Windows*10 own inbox drivers; that is the reason as to why you see the version 15.18.10

The latest version found in our download center is Windows 8.1 compliant as you can confirm here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25276/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1* File name: Wireless_18.20.0_e164.exe

What is available for Windows*10 as you have mentioned is the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology for Windows® 10 64-bit (JP) that you can also confime in this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25206/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Bluetooth-technology-for-Windows-10-64-bit-JP- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology for Windows® 10 64-bit (JP)

Now, we understand you've mentioned that Dell* informed you that your system is not compatible with Windows*10. Unfortunately, In this particular, there isn't much more we can do to assist you since your system has no compatibility with the new version of the OS. You would probably need to roll back to the orignal customized version of the OS provided by Dell*