4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2009 9:40 AM by Aryan2411

DG43NB shutting down problem with win server 2003

mrefan

hello

recently we have bought a new PC for our office`s fileserver use. I`ve installed Windows Server Enterprise 2003 SP1 Release2 on it. It has no problem , but when you decide to turn it off ( start>shutdown ) , it starts to turning off , close the programs, and when a window appears on you screen that it contains animated windows logo with this code:<< " windows is shutting down... ">> , my pc suddenly restars! like when you press the restart button in front of the case! and the device starts the booting process! i dont know why?! please help me, this is critical for my job security.

( DG43NB- Q9400 CPU - 4GB Kingstone DDR 2 800 - No VGA - 540W Power supply - HP dvd-rw )

• 1. Re: DG43NB shutting down problem with win server 2003
          Aryan2411

Hello,

Restarting issues can be due to many reasons, it is impossible to point out whether it is software issues or hardware issues. You will need to do your test by yourself. I am going to point some hints for you to do.

Remember that none of the Intel Desktop Board are validated for Server OS.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-008326.htm

Hardware:

- It may be something short-circuiting the board or may be the board is already short-circuited by the front panel connection. So try to test the system out of the chassis. Boot up the system using a screwdriver by short-circuiting the right pin (check on the TPS for information, dont use the front panel header)

- Replace the RTC battery.

- Use latest BIOS

- Populate only one memory and see if it makes any difference.

- Try with some other model memory not same make.

- Cross-test with another power supply.

- Cross-test the CPU (another compatible CPU model)

Software:

- One of the most common causes of Windows shut down problems is a bug in Roxio’s Easy CD Creator (particularly version 5)

- Another common cause of system restarts is the Wake On setting.

- Check the Windows Event Log if there is any errors.

- Make sure to have the latest uptodate patch and service pack for windows.

To change the recovery settings to disable automatic rebooting:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DG43NB shutting down problem with win server 2003
            mrefan

Hello Aryan,

thank you , your reply was so helpful and i have to test all of them step by step tomorrow because Our office was closed today .

I will check and reply the problem.

thank you

• 3. Re: DG43NB shutting down problem with win server 2003
              mrefan

thank you man!

you wont belive it! the problem was for SLOT DIMM A of ram! i have to contact my local dealer for this problem! while DIMM A is in use, the problem occures! but when you remove the ram from slot A and just your DIMM B is in use , you have no problem with system shutting down process   ! i changed RAMs but it has no effect. the problem is due to DIMM A !

i`ve had assembled more than 200 PCs until now! but i`ve never seen this problem before.

thank you.

• 4. Re: DG43NB shutting down problem with win server 2003
                Aryan2411

Hello,

Glad that you found the problem causing it to restart after shutting down.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.