4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 11:05 AM by N.Scott.Pearson

DH55TC motherboard taking too long to load the OS

jsbjsb001

Hi,

I have a DH55TC motherboard that is taking way too long to load the OS, my PC specs are as follows;

BIOS version: TCIBX10H.86A.0048.2011.1206.1342

Motherboard: DH55TC (Desktop motherboard)

Intel Management engine firmware version: 6.1.20.1059

4GB RAM

Core i7 CPU

NVIDIA 1GB VRAM Video card (PCIe addin card)

I have enabled post codes (in BIOS) to be displayed on boot up. Now the POST codes page on Intel's website in one table says EB is "Calling Legacy Option ROMs" (whatever that means) and in another table (on the same page) says it's the Video BIOS, which is it!??

And why can't Intel be CLEAR!? Is it both or is it the first one, second??? As it seems to be something to do with the first 'EB' post code I see on boot up, as that's the first post code I see when I start the PC (and that's where it takes at least 15-20 seconds before it moves onto the next post code).

The order of the post codes is as follows;

EB -- ??

98 -- Resetting mouse

EB -- ??

90 -- Resetting keyboard

Can somebody (who KNOWS) please be CLEAR about the 'EB' post code??

• 1. Re: DH55TC motherboard taking too long to load the OS
          N.Scott.Pearson

This one is pretty simple to explain.

In legacy mode, all BIOS extensions - including the video BIOS - are loaded as Option ROMs. There are at least two Option ROMs present, that for video and that for Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST). There could be two Video BIOSs (two Option ROMs) present, that for the on-board graphics and that for an add-in graphics card. Which one is used is dependent upon how you have configured the BIOS. Whether the RST Option ROM is invoked is dependent upon whether you have enabled RST in the BIOS. Depending upon what (other) add-in cards you have, there could be other Option ROMs present. For example, add-in networking adapters often have an Option ROM to support booting from a network server. As well, add-in disk controllers often have an option ROM to support the BIOS booting from a storage device connected to this controller.

In UEFI mode (i.e. you've enabled UEFI), the Option ROM methodology is set aside and a formal driver architecture is utilized. Regardless, the drivers for video and (if enabled) RST, plus those from any add-in cards present, will be detected, loaded and invoked and the same POST code is used for this phase.

When you say "way too long", what is the criteria you are using?

...Scott

• 2. Re: DH55TC motherboard taking too long to load the OS
            ivanu_intel

It seems like the problem that you are facing is related to compatibility.

Have you add new hardware in your system?

The EB post code usually shows while trying to recognize a device installed that the system has problem to recognize.

At this point, I recommend reseating the video card and maybe the RAM, also to access the BIOS and set your system to the default settings by pressing F9 on your keyboard once you’re in the BIOS. I see that you have already the latest BIOS version for this motherboard and at this point I would recommend as well doing a BIOS recovery to that same version.

You can follow the steps to do BIOS recovery at:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023360.htm

You can download the BIOS version here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20725/BIOS-Update-TCIBX10H-86A-

• 3. Re: DH55TC motherboard taking too long to load the OS
              jsbjsb001

Thank you Scott,

Your reply does explain a few things. I meant that it would take up to 20 seconds (normally about 15-16 seconds) before the BIOS would start looking for an OS to boot. I disconnected my USB card reader and that cut at least 5-6 seconds off the boot up time. So it was the USB card reader that was doing it, smartmontools in Linux also reports that a firmware update is available for one of the hard drives connected to my PC, so not sure if that might cut some more time form the boot process?

• 4. Re: DH55TC motherboard taking too long to load the OS
                N.Scott.Pearson

Yes, the enumeration of USB can be a *significant* contributor to the overall boot time. Some devices - like your card reader - can make it worse. Sometime back, my son bought a Core i7, DP55KG-based system (i.e. same generation BIOS as yours). When I built him his new X99 gaming rig, I decided to keep his old one as a backup for my development machine. For whatever reason (I forget why now), I decided to plug all of the USB devices into a hub and then connect this hub to the system. Big mistake! Hub enumeration adds *significantly* to the boot time. When I moved everything to back panel USB ports and removed the hub completely, I chopped more than 10 second off the boot time!

Because of the growing concerns with boot times, Intel added a Fast Boot feature to their BIOSs. The most significant contributor to getting the shortest possible boot time is the ability to disable USB enumeration completely (i.e. leave it for the O/S to do once it loads; it is going to do it (or redo it) anyway). Another significant contributor is the ability to avoid initializing the video BIOS (there are, for example, a lot of (typically older) video cards out there that waste time displaying their logo during their initialization (grrrr)). Obviously, you should only enable the Fast Boot feature once you have a stably booting system and are not changing the hardware configuration at all. You enable this feature from the Boot scene in BIOS Setup. The enabling is broken up into three separate optimization categories (General, USB and Video) that you can individually enable or disable. This allows you to leave some categories disabled if problems occur as a result of the optimization performed. I would recommend you turn them on one at a time to see if any issues appear as a result. If you use a USB-based keyboard, enable USB optimization last.

Hope this helps,

...Scott

P.S. Whether the installation of the HDD firmware will make a difference is dependent upon what type of fixes they have included. For the most part, it likely won't make any difference at all.