Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S1200v3rp Raid 1 setup with two partitioned 2TB Hard Drives

DMill13
Beginner

We typically use a simple RAID 1 configuration with 2 hard driives, and a System/Data partition, with the obvious goal of being able to continue operating if one drive fails. Our latest system shows two RAID Arrays: Partition 1 (System) was created (Array 00), and then the RAID configured, and then Partition 2 (Data/Shares) was created and this became Array 1. Disk Management shows a Disk 0 (500GB) and a Disk 1 (1.5TB), so Windows Server thinks that the partitioned drive is actually two separate disks. If this is a good way to configure the system I'd like to know; remember our only goal is to have redundancy in the event of a single hard drive failure. If not I'd like to know about it before it goes into production. Thx in advance!

5 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

You shure, that are two arrays created, not two LUNs? Just enter into Intel RAID utility at boot (CTrl+I usually) and check, how much arrays present there. If one RAID1 array and two LUNs, its OK, if two arrays, that is possible a Matrix RAID configuration, where multiple arrays can be created on one disk set, although this should work too, i.e. if one drive dead, system still bootable.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Please let us know which Embedded RAID solution( RSTe or ESRT2) you are using to configure the array.

DMill13
Beginner

BIOS/RAID Console in Windows says Intel Server Embedded RAID Technology II

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Can you provide us two screenshots of Windows RAID Console: 'Physical view/layout' and 'Logical view/layout' ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

According to the information provided, the RAID 1 configuration has been done properly and there is no reason to be concerned since you will have redundancy for both partitions in the event of a single hard drive failure. Basically, that is the way how Windows Disk mManagement sees the RAID 1.

0 Kudos