1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 6, 2015 6:45 AM by DiegoV_Intel

Proper way to power down an Intel Edison w/ Arduino Breakout Board?

John_Brewer

How do I get an Intel Edison with Arduino breakout board to do a safe shutdown without opening a shell and issuing a "shutdown -P now"?

For example on BeagleBone Black, I just press the "power" button, and the BeagleBone executes the "poweroff" command.

However on the Edison with Arduino breakout board, the power button apparently does about 4 different things, none of which initiate a safe shutdown:

1. Power button (SW1UI2): The power button is used to change the power mode of the Intel® Edison. It is configured by software. Pressing and holding the power button will cause the Intel® Edison to power down leaving the IO configuration in its current state. Pressing the button momentarily when the Intel® Edison is powered down will cause the Intel® Edison to reboot. If the Intel® Edison is running, then a momentary press will cause the Intel® Edison to go into the low power sleep mode. Pressing the button momentarily when the Intel® Edison is asleep, will bring the Intel® Edison into full power mode. Pressing and holding the power button for more than 2 seconds but less than 7 seconds will turn the Intel® Edison AP mode on.

(source:  https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23454 )

Am I missing something?

Thanks!