There is no dedicated RAID controller chip on board, only RAID functions of platform southbridge. Hotswap is feature of backplane and SATA controllers (even desktop system can support HotSwap). Southbridge (I/O hub) RAID functions do not have drivers for Vmware.
I'm really surprise, the Intel Server price more than $12,000 does not support physical raid. Do you have support document to confirm your specification ??? Please let me know the chipset name of the Raid on board ???
Here is your RAID - Server Products — Intel Embedded Server RAID Technology II (ESRT2) - RAID Simulator Tool . Also take a look at Server Products — Operating System Compatibility . And http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/s4600lh2_t2_tps_rev_2_02.pdf from page 47.
The best choice is to purchase a compatible RAID card separately, here is Intel compatible parts - Intel® Server System R2304LH2HKC Specifications
Thanks for your more information.
I see there are many RAID for R2304LH2HKC.
Could your give me your part number suggestion for my request as follows ???
- I want to make raid 10 that could be compatible with ESX 5.1 U2.
- Your suggest product could be hardware raid ??? (I just want to know my situation, if not never mind. I can accept)
- Your suggest part number could be support HotSwap ??? (I just want to know my situation, if not never mind. I can accept)
- If no any model could not make RAID 10, never mind. I just want what ever part number that could make ESX 5.1 U2 see the storage with no RAID.
- This raid 10, i will run the OS so I need good performance also.
*** MY harddisk is SEAGATE SATA Concellation 4.0 TB / 4 units
Thank for your answer in advanced.
I think I found the part number that I want.
- Intel® RAID Controller RS2BL040, can compatible with R2304LH2HKC or not ???
- Intel® RAID Controller RS2BL040 support ESX 5.1 U2, correct ???
- If i use RS2BL040 connected with the server R2304LH2HKC, it will make the bay in front of case be 'HotSwap' ???
- If i use RS2BL040 connected with the server R2304LH2HKC, it will make the bay in front of case be 'Hardware RAid' ???
- Where I can buy in Thaialand ???
If my part numer does not correct, please let me know the correct part number. Thank you.
To answer your questions, the RAID controller is fully compatible with the board and ESXi 5.0 which is the version we have validated. It will work with newer versions as well:
As stated on previous posts, you will need a hardware RAID controller or you can also set the BIOS as AHCI with a single disk. The embedded RAID solutions do not support ESXi. To locate resellers in Thailand please use the following website: