Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20676 Discussions

Legacy OpenGL support on HD Graphics 4000 chipset?: Quake 1 and 2

DHess2
Beginner

I have a Late 2012 Mac Mini with the Intel Core i7-3615QM CPU and HD Graphics 4000 running Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, My sons and I enjoy classic FPS (first person shooters) and I have been unable to get Quake 1 and 2 running on the machine. Quake 3 runs fine with the point release (ID software's last update). I am suspecting some sort of OpenGL conflict at this point as I am getting the classic errors when I try to run Quake: "could not load OpenGL subsystem". I am hoping someone here can offer a solution and make these classic gamers happy! Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tsr2
Beginner

Make a linux build either on your hdd or on a usb3. Get Steam installed and steam will do the heavy lifting. GL works great on both those games. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
DHess2
Beginner

Tsr2, thank you so much for the quick reply. I don't have a linux machine anymore but my son does. Can you steer me in the right direction on how to create a build through Linux? Also, if we use Steam as the front end, can we use Quake and Quake 2 as we do with the stand alone software? Our own mods, run LAN servers, etc?

0 Kudos
tsr2
Beginner

Here goes... Go to linux mint official site and download 17.2 Rafaela in 64bit, as your mac is reasonably new. You will have the .iso file in downloads.

Search for pendrive linux and download it.

Run pendrive linux (double click) and install the .iso on a usb stick. 2GB minimum.

You will need somewhere to put linux, I suggest taking a little bit of your hdd. You don't have high speed usb stuff on your machine.

Sorry, never used macs but the stuff inside is all the same.

You have to make a partition on your hdd.

When you've created a partition, boot off your new usb stick, and connect to internet (easy)

Oh, hell, It's so complex. I'll try and get back on the intel forums.

Regards TSR2

0 Kudos
DHess2
Beginner

Tsr2,

Thanks again! I now see that you mean boot in to Linux and run it from there. I may have to try that but was hoping to create a version of the Quake executable that would work within Windows. I already have the system setup dual boot and there are complications introducing a third (actually fourth) partition. However, I may try your idea of booting from a USB 3 Thumb drive. Thank you so much!

0 Kudos