9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2016 12:24 PM by JasonC_Intel

Intermittent python segfault in python on intel galileo.

cgoma

I have build the yocto image for intel galileo using Board_Support_Package_Sources_for_Intel_Quark_v1.0.0.7.

I have application which runs on python. When intel galileo boots up my python application crashes saying

"python[2519]: segfault at b7173107 ip b714f07b sp bf97ea94"

This behaviour is pretty intermittent. Some times application crashes as soon as it starts and some times it crashes after 1 hour or 2 hours

Please let me know if any one has faced similar issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chetan Gomase

• 1. Re: Intermittent python segfault in python on intel galileo.
          CMata_Intel

Hi Chetan,

Is there a specific reason of why you built the 1.0.0 version and not the 1.0.1 or 1.1.0? I suggest you to use a newer version

Did you do changes in the image while you were building it? If you did, please let us know what changes did you do.

Are you running an specific script in Python or is the Python package that is failing?

If it is a script that is running at boot that is having problems, does this script works when you run it normally in the board?

Are you using Python 2.7 or are you using another version?

Regards,

Charlie

• 2. Re: Intermittent python segfault in python on intel galileo.
            cgoma

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your reply.

Is there a specific reason of why you built the 1.0.0 version and not the 1.0.1 or 1.1.0?

I was previously using pre-built binaries given by Intel for developing my application on my quark board which was build with Board_Support_Package_Sources_for_Intel_Quark_v1.0.0.7. But in my application we were requiring the USB to LAN converter so I required to build drivers for USB to  LAN converters (i.e. dm9601) and these drivers were not part of prebuilt binaries provided by intel. So I had to build these drivers for Board_Support_Package_Sources_for_Intel_Quark_v1.0.0.7.

Note: My python application works perfectly with pre-built binaries provided by Intel.

Did you do changes in the image while you were building it?

I have just added the drivers for USB to LAN converters (i.e. dm9601) and then build the image.

Are you running an specific script in Python or is the Python package that is failing?

I am running specific python application and python is giving me seg fault at boot up or after some time

If it is a script that is running at boot that is having problems, does this script works when you run it normally in the board?

In either of the cases the problem can be observed.

Are you using Python 2.7 or are you using another version?

I am using python 2.7.3

I hope I had answered your question.

Please me know if you have any concerns.

Regards,

Chetan

• 3. Re: Intermittent python segfault in python on intel galileo.
              CMata_Intel

Hi Chetan,

Is this happening with all the codes on Python or it is just with your application. If it is just with the application, have you tried to debug your code to check which part is failing?

Also, have you tried to run the code using another image, a standard image from IoT - Intel® Galileo Board Download | Intel® Developer Zone

What the python code does?

Regards,

Charlie

• 4. Re: Intermittent python segfault in python on intel galileo.
                CMata_Intel

Hi Chetan,

I would like to know if you have updates in this. Have you found a solution for this?

Regards,

Charlie

• 5. Re: Intermittent python segfault in python on intel galileo.
                  cgoma

Hi Charlie,

I am yet to figure out the solution for this.

But I found similar issue has been reported by the CHerbst.

Please see below link

Program ceases to run after many hours (Galileo Gen2)

My python application works seamlessly on the standard yocto image given by intel. The standard yocto image given by intel is having version 201410161526.

The error I am getting is,

python[1763]: segfault at c12c28d2 ip c12c28d2 sp daa8bfe4 error ffff0015

i am not sure how to debug this as it is not consistent.

Regards,

Chetan

• 6. Re: Intermittent python segfault in python on intel galileo.
                    CMata_Intel

Hi Chetan,

Have you tried with the latest EGLIBC image? With this one you should be getting: 201510010732 after running cat /etc/version. You can download it from IoT - Intel® Galileo Board Download | Intel® Developer Zone

Could you attach your code?

Also, have you found something like a pattern when getting the error message?

Regards,

Charlie

• 7. Re: Intermittent python segfault in python on intel galileo.
                      cgoma

Hi Charlie,

I have not tried the EGLIBC image yet. It is not possible for me to attach the code.

I am getting error as,

python[1763]: segfault at c12c28d2 ip c12c28d2 sp daa8bfe4 error ffff0015.

Every time the ip and sp changes but the error type is always ffff0015.

Regards,

Chetan

• 8. Re: Intermittent python segfault in python on intel galileo.
                        CMata_Intel

Hi Chetan,

Did you try with the EGLIBC image?

Another thing you could try is to build the image with the BSP 1.2.0

The error you are getting seems to be related with the OS, your code could be asking to resources that the OS is not able to handle so is sending the segfault error.

I know you can’t attach your code, but is it possible to know what the code does, maybe the resources that it uses?

Regards,

Charlie

• 9. Re: Intermittent python segfault in python on intel galileo.
                          JasonC_Intel

Just wanted to report that I was also getting a python segfault on Galileo Gen2 running eglibc image. It was occurring during an OS call to the ping command.

I was able to resolve my specific issue by using pyping to send the ping instead of calling out to the OS to do the ping.  So if anyone else having this issue, it may be related to OS calls.

-Jason