Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14583 Discussions

New pc, wich Skylake processor to go with??

SMin4
Beginner

Hi,

For a new pc build i want to go with the new skylake procs.

However i'm not an expert in processors and therefore i have a few questions.

First of all, I currently have a Intel® Core™ i7-860 Processor (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz) Wich dates back all the way to 2009.

It still gives me no performance issues with most new games, as i also have a gtx 770 4gb.

I use my pc quite heavy, I want to be able to play the newest games on max settings on 1080p for the moment. Maybe VR in the future, I use most of Adobe's programs for work. ( Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects ) I use Blender 3D and Unreal Engine 4 as wel, but both are verry GPU heavy.

Im thinking of an i5 6600k wich seems to give me the most bang for the buck.

The point is however, that i'd be moving from an 6 y/o i7 to a 6th generation i5, wich has no hyperthreading.

So would i experience any drawbacks from going from 4 physical cores and 4 virtual to only 4 physical cores but that have 3.50Gh instead of 2.80ghz. ?

There is also an i7 6700 ( without the k ) for only 50 bucks more compared to the i5 6600k, wich give me a 3.40 ghz but also hyperthreading.

I'm willing to overclock the i5 6600k if that would help.

Could anyone please give me some information about this,

Would my performance gain a noticeable increase if i'd upgrade and how would hyperthreading fit in this picture? Or could some of you give my directions to where i could get the information?

Ive done quit a bit of reading myself but can't realy get the necessary answers.

Looking forward to your replies,

Kind regarts,

Sietze

@

0 Kudos
0 Replies