1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2015 12:55 PM by HannesM

RC6 remote stopped working after some update

HannesM

Bought the Intel NUC 54250 about a year ago, and been using an RC6 remote (XBOX Universal Remote) with built-in CIR without issues - until it suddenly stopped working abut a month ago (around August/September 2015). I've always installed latest Windows updates and sporadically I've also updated the BIOS as well. I am guessing an update has killed the remote somehow.

The remote can still wake the PC, but once Windows has booted, the remote no longer works.

I've tried updating CIR drivers, BIOS, and chipset.

Device Manager shows no failed or disabled devices.

HID devices section contains both eHome and CIR devices.

I've checked CIR configuration in BIOS, including all options "Generic", "RC6", and "XBOX" remote type. No effect.

Anything else I can try to troubleshoot failed RC6 remotes?

Thanks,

/ Hannes.

• 1. Re: RC6 remote stopped working after some update
          HannesM

Forgot to mention that I'm on Windows 8.1 x64

• 2. Re: RC6 remote stopped working after some update
            N.Scott.Pearson

I would try uninstalling the CIR driver, rebooting and then reinstalling the previous version of the CIR driver.

If this works, you may want to avoid letting Windows Update do any updating of this driver in the future...

...S

• 3. Re: RC6 remote stopped working after some update
              HannesM

Thanks, that's definitely worth a try, I'll try that. While we're at it, do you think any other drivers may be involved? HID/eHome? Chipset? (BIOS?)

• 4. Re: RC6 remote stopped working after some update
                N.Scott.Pearson

The CIR feature is part of the Super I/O (SIO) device included on the board. This device sits on the LPC bus and thus its features can be accessed using simple Port I/O operations (a native feature of the processor). As a result, only the CIR driver is involved in access to the hardware. I can see that Microsoft eHome keyboard drivers are binding this feature to the O/S. I don't know that much about this, however, so I cannot say much about what could possibly go wrong with these drivers or their configuration.

The BIOS comes into play only when talking about wake events - using the RC6 remote to wake the system from a low-power state, for example. Opposite this, I have heard of issues where the CIR feature does not work after the system resumes from a low-power state - and these issues have been fixed with BIOS updates - so the BIOS is definitely involved. Another thing you should check is whether the CIR feature is working immediately after booting (i.e. before any chance for the system to drop into a low-power state)...

...S

• 5. Re: RC6 remote stopped working after some update
                  HannesM

I can't seem to find older CIR drivers anywhere. The Intel NUC download only lists the latest version. Any ideas?

• 6. Re: RC6 remote stopped working after some update
                    HannesM

I have tried restarting Windows numerous times, and the remote never works after botting up.

Before Windows loads, I don't expect anything but the boot-up Power-on button to work, or? Should cursor keys, enter, etc work e.g. while navigating the BIOS settings?

• 7. Re: RC6 remote stopped working after some update
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, I see that they do not provide any links for downloading the previous version. I suggest that you completely uninstall the driver, reboot and then reinstall this latest version. This may kick it into a running state.

Unless they just added support recently, Visual BIOS does not support keyboard-based navigation.

...S

• 8. Re: RC6 remote stopped working after some update
                        HannesM

The BIOS does actually work with the cursor keys, but the cursor keys on my remote has no effect in there.

I tried installing the latest CIR driver and rebooted several times to no avail :-(

Thanks for your suggestions though, very good feedback.

Anyway, I feel cheated by Intel, my rather expensive and almost new NUC has stopped working. Naturally just outside the 1 yr warranty.

The first NUC I bought failed after only 2 weeks, suddenly dead as a stone after a restart.

2 fails in one year, unacceptable quality in my view.

Anyone else got any ideas?

• 9. Re: RC6 remote stopped working after some update
                          joe_intel

Try a system restore before the issue started to occur, or a system refresh if you dare..

By the way, the warranty is for three years.

• 10. Re: RC6 remote stopped working after some update
                            N.Scott.Pearson

You said that the remote is still working (it can wake you from a low power state), so you really cannot say that the NUC has failed at all; this is essentially a software issue. I have my doubts that doing a system restore is going to accomplish anything, but it is worth a try. When you do, remember that you need to restore a configuration you're sure is prior to when the issues started.

If this doesn't work, I suggest you try starting from scratch. If you reinstall Windows (from scratch, not over the existing install), I believe that you will get it working again. Yea, I know; it's a lot of work. Yea, I know, it shouldn't have happened. Think of it this way; it's worth the try. I believe that you should be reinstalling Windows at least once a year anyway. Over time, Windows slows down (due to registry fragmentation, left over crap, etc.) and the only way to get it running tip top again is through a reinstall.

...S

• 11. Re: RC6 remote stopped working after some update
                              HannesM

Hi Joe,

Any chance of sending me an older (Nuovoton) CIR driver? Say, >3 months old?

I can't find anything myself on the Intel web site.

/ Hannes.

• 12. Re: RC6 remote stopped working after some update
                                N.Scott.Pearson

Hannes,

After sending you the private messages, I noticed that the older versions of the CIR driver were actually there in the WY downloads page. I am seeing the following packages:

Win7          2.07.1005

Win8.1       2.09.1007

Win10        2.11.1009

You could try using the 2.09.1007 release on your system (this is the one I would have sent you anyway)...

...Scott

• 13. Re: RC6 remote stopped working after some update
                                  dougho

I am not from Intel, but whenever I see someone say that Xbox remote does not work inside Windows (regardless of Intel or not), I think about a detail in Windows registry.  There are various articles on the web about it if you search for the combo of a couple keywords such as remote and CodeSetNum0.  If you are comfortable editing registry, you basically change a 1 (MCE remote) to a 8 (Xbox remote) or 0 (universal).  Then reboot.

• 14. Re: RC6 remote stopped working after some update
                                    HannesM

YAY that was it!! Thank you so much for sharing this.

I certainly haven't changed this myself lately, I wonder which Windows update corrupted this one on me...

/ Hannes.

1 2 Previous Next