4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 11:14 AM by jonathan_intel

Is this P3700 legit or is it a 'es' or something else?  In what way are the ES P-series drives limited ?

cloudbuilder33

Hi,

I am doing some research on buying a few intel nvme ssd's. I am being offered a (used) P3700 nvme SSD that is decently priced, and I'm considering to buy it because this would allow me to get to know the product, do some testing in my environment to make me feel comfortable before ordering multiple pieces. This seems a good way to test without spending so much $$$ buying a new one. The thing is it has some strange numbers on the label that look a bit odd, and i would like to know what you guys think about the product? Is it legit? Or is it some kind of sample?/dummy/Fake? Would buying an engineering sample be legal?

Is there any way to find out if the SSD is a ES?

Would an engineering sample even be usable? because I read this at the Intel® Solid-State Drive Data Center Tool;

• The tool does not update firmware on Engineering Sample (ES) drives

Does this mean the drive is pretty much useless? / lacks allot of features compared to the retail version?

I bought an ES Xeon a few years ago, as a cheap way to do some testing with the product before spending my money on it, and I have to say that it performs exactly the same as the retail processor. I never had any problems with it what so ever. Was this dumb luck, or would an ES P-series ssd also be a good way to do some testing in my environment before buying a real one?

I certainly hope so, because the P series ssd's are so expensive, buying one and later finding out that it does not really fit my use-case/environment would make me pretty sick...

I hope I can get some clarification on this subject. Especially about how to recognize ES SSD's from the label.

Thanks for the help

Cloudbuilder